Was anyone diagnosed with PCOS after having a pregnancy?

Nonny S.
on 12/22/06 6:04 am - Howe, TX
I have suspected that I have PCOS for years now, but my gyno won't talk about it.  I have all the following symptoms: Infrequent menstrual period and irregular bleeding Increased growth of hair on face and body Acne, oily skin and dandruff Pelvic pain ****asionaly one side at a time) Weight gain ie: obesity High Cholesterol Darkened skin in armpits, inner thighs and breasts Skin tags Sleep Apnea I don't have diabetes I don't have high blood pressure I don't have baldness or thinning hair (except for the norm regarding wls) and I have had one miscarriage (when I was 18) and one successful pregnancy 7 1/2 years ago. She (my gyno) discredits all the other symptoms like: my excessive hair growth is because "I am part Italian" and my irregular periods are because I'm just one of the "lucky" ones who is irregular since this has been the case since I was 10 when I first started.  Everything else she says is due to my obesity.  The biggest thing though, is that because I have gotten pregnant twice I can't have PCOS.  Is this true?  She has never done any ultrasound (except from when I was pregnant and I didn't know about PCOS then) and has never done any other tests (that I know of).  Everytime I mention it, she says to just go on the pill.  But that doesn't even work.  The last few times I've tried the pill, I spot throughout the month and may or may not start my menses when I'm supposed to.  Plus I get all the lovely symptoms to go along with them. I'm definately getting a second opinion somewhere else because I know something is wrong and it disturbs me that she is not trying to find out what it is.  I was just curious as to those of you who do have PCOS did any of you have a pregnancy before diagnosis? Thanks for all your help!! Halona

Blessings,
Nonny
313/235/150

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."  ~ Mahatma Gandhi

ChristineM
on 12/25/06 10:47 am - Brick, NJ
Hiya... My name is Christine.  I was diagnosed with PCOS 7 years ago.  I developed it after the birth of my second daughter.  I found out basically due to having alot of pelvic pain.  Went through my regular physician and then to the gyn.  They gave me the internal sonogram... so pleasant to go through... being sarcastic lol.... but showed what was going on..... i have cysts covering both of my ovaries and in turn i am infertile.  The pelvic pain you are experiencing are the cysts bursting.  It is really unpleasant and painful but as soon as they burst the pain goes away.  I suggest you get another gyno.  There are some meds you can go on but to be honest i have not been on anything.  I went through a bad divorce and had no health insurance for a long time.  I have recently remarried and i am starting to get my health taken care of.  If you would like to talk more let me know.  Take care.
Nonny S.
on 12/26/06 3:55 am - Howe, TX
Thank you Christine!!  You made me feel better.  Now I don't think I'm being a hypo-chondriac (sp?).  I'm calling new doctors today to make an appointment!! Thanks again!! Halona

Blessings,
Nonny
313/235/150

amykostecki
on 12/28/06 11:37 am
I have suspected for some time that I have PCOS as well and have not been able to get any doctor to take me seriously.  I think it is because not enough doctors are well informed of the disorder and don't want to look like they don't know what is going on.  I have had numerous documented cysts on songrams, catscans and the like and my mom had to have a hystacretmy at my age for PCOS.  The doctors just but me on birth control and say you'll be fine yet I still get the cysts even on birth control and they have seen those on catscans.  Anyway, I have had enough so I looked up a OBGyn who specializes in endrincology and reproductive disorders.  I found a doctor using a PCOS website that offered a doctor search for my area.  I don't have insurance and have found going the specialized OB route was less expensive than going straight to the endriconolgist.  I have an appointment on January 9th I will repost when I find out how it went and if I was finally able to have someone take me seriously.  My mother-in-law and mother are nurses and they have suggested writting a well documented history of my problems to give to the doctor and my visit, they say this helps the doctor to take you more seriously and it takes less of their time which puts them in a better mood, plus you know you haven't forgot to tell them something.  I have started and will continue to add things as I remember them.
Nonny S.
on 1/8/07 1:11 am - Howe, TX
Thanks Amy!  I'll take your advice and look for an OBGYN who specializes in endrincology in my area.  I appreciate your help!

Blessings,
Nonny
313/235/150

shellyk
on 12/29/06 12:42 pm - el paso, TX
get a referral to an endocrinologist .. they DO understand PCOS and should put you on metformin or something to help reduce the symptoms of it  shelly
Nonny S.
on 1/8/07 1:11 am - Howe, TX
Thanks for the tip Shelly!

Blessings,
Nonny
313/235/150

SleepWanted
on 1/5/07 5:45 am
I was diagnosed with PCOS after I had two children.  I got pregnant with my first daughter when I was 19, and my second daughter when I was 21.  My OBGYN says that I was lucky that I had my kids so young, or I would probably have a very difficult time conceiviong now.  If you were young when you had your baby that could be the case for you as well. Good Luck! Michelle
Nonny S.
on 1/8/07 1:15 am - Howe, TX
I was young!  Actually the same ages you were with yours.  My first pregnancy I was 19 and had a miscarriage and I got pregnant with my son at 21 1/2. Thanks Michelle!  You made me feel better!

Blessings,
Nonny
313/235/150

Holly Y.
on 1/6/07 2:30 am
I have always had mild symptoms of PCOS since I started my menstral cycle. But, after my son, my symptoms got worse, then after I had my twins, my symptoms were doubled. I dont' know if you necessarily develop PCOS after pregnancies but I think the pregnancies can make the effects much worse. I haven't had a period in over three mths now, but I refuse to go on bc because I go crazy on it. It makes me deppressed and VERY moody, I have tried them all. I also have IBS so I can't handle the side effects of metformin. Since the birth of my girls I have gained 80 lbs w/o much help on my end. I finally decided to go ahead with the lap-band to help loose weight, which I recieved 7 wks ago. I know that at least loosing weight will help with the symptoms.
Have a Blessed Day,

Holly

2ccs in a 4cc band (only one fill) - 4 mths post op
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1076 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 3032 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3631 views