PCOS and WLS

Jenbg
on 11/4/14 6:21 am - London, Canada

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone has had PCOS, had weight loss surgery and then didn't have the PSOC symptoms anymore?

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 14...and I'm...way older now *lol* and STILL struggle with it.  I am having my bariatric surgery on the 14th of this month and just curious if there were other ladies out there that have dealt with this...

Any info would be great :)

Thanks,

Jennifer Buckley-Golder * Hamilton, On CANADA * Revision Surgery Date: November 14, 2014 (stapeling to RNY) * down 50 lbs Jan 12, 2015 *

Jonay
on 11/5/14 10:18 pm - Grand Junction, CO
RNY on 03/31/15

I have not had my surgery yet, but  the research that I have done indicates 100% remission of menstrual dysfunction and 79% remission of hirsutism. I know people who have had PCOS, weight loss surgery, and was able to conceive, but I am unsure about their status with PCOS.

I hope this helps.

Jenbg
on 11/6/14 6:34 am - London, Canada

Thanks for the reply...it does help. :)

Jennifer Buckley-Golder * Hamilton, On CANADA * Revision Surgery Date: November 14, 2014 (stapeling to RNY) * down 50 lbs Jan 12, 2015 *

Alicia H.
on 11/11/14 12:08 pm - SAN ANTONIO, TX

You had me at remission of hirtuism. Man, I hope that's true 

Jonay
on 11/12/14 4:14 pm - Grand Junction, CO
RNY on 03/31/15
On November 11, 2014 at 8:08 PM Pacific Time, aliciaL_77 wrote:

You had me at remission of hirtuism. Man, I hope that's true 

As do I. I have been waiting for 18 years for it to go away...at least get better. Unfortunately, with time it has only gotten worse. It is definitely one statistic that I hope to be true.

cutekatie
on 11/12/14 6:38 am
RNY on 05/16/12

I had WLS in May of 2012. I had been diagnosed with PCOS and Insulin resistance. My insulin levels are great, the hair on my face and neck is reduced (instead of shaving/waxing every few days I can go months). My cycles were somewhat regular 30-35 days before surgery but now are 28 days exactly.

I did not have cysts on my ovaries so can't speak to that symptom. I'm not trying to get pregnant so can't really comment on fertility but I do track my cycles and my fertility signs have increased.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/14 11:34 pm, edited 11/21/14 11:37 pm
VSG on 03/26/14

I am about to give TMI.....

I was diagnosed at 11 with PCOS maintained my weight even though I started steroid injections into my abdomen. I had cycles that lasted 4 months not missing a single day. Cycle was so heavy I needed a Super Plus tampon and Liner and changed them every 30 minutes sometime I could make it to 45 minutes. I would then be cycle free for 2 months before the next 4 months of hell began. Thanks to steroids even though I lived on a gluten free sugar free diet for 7 years and worked out 18-22 hours a week, my weight sky rocketed. They had doubled my steroids due to colon and uterine cancer. I gained over 140 lbs in 6 months. In order to get off my steroids this surgery was a must. 13 years of steroids and weight that was not removable - I was over it. Absolutely sick to my stomach when I saw myself in the mirror. Felt guilty my 5 year old had a mother who looked like I did. I didn't gain weight from food or inactivity, I was literally just swollen. I didn't have my first cycle after surgery until month 2 almost month 3. I bled a ridiculous amount so I was scared to see what my next cycle would bring....

a month later came my next cycle... 7 days!!! ONLY 7 DAYS!!!!! AND I WAS ABLE TO USE A REGULAR TAMPON WITH NO LINER!!!!!! I got so excited I called my mom and husband lol. That was the most wonderful day Id ever had regarding my cycle. The next month came... Day 7 it stopped again!!!! regulars again!!!! I am now 8 months post op and do not cry when my cycle starts!!!!! and my cyst have not regrown!!!!!!!!! Usually a month after having them removed they are back! And it has been 5 months!!!!! 

This Surgery has been a huge blessing. I paid out of pocket the full amount, and would totally do it again!!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/14 11:45 pm
VSG on 03/26/14

Regarding the fertility, My husband had a vasectomy because I didn't want to be pregnant again. I had 4 pregnancies with 5 babies and I only had 1 so I couldn't go through it again. I have a rare form of lupus and It keeps me from being able to carry. My twins I lost in different trimesters. 2nd pregnancy was my son who I barely carried. My 3rd pregnancy I lost at 21 weeks and my last pregnancy I was 25 weeks. So I can not answer about fertility however ALL of my pregnancies ONLY occurred when I was on Birth Control. that is the only way I was able to get pregnant lol.

SkinnyScientist
on 1/20/15 11:28 pm

I have not had remission of hirutism.

I spend thousands to get it lazered off after surgery. I watch my carbs. SOME of the chin hair is growing back. It is not as bad as before...but it i still there.

The treasure trail and the thick thigh hair is also still there.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1044 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2990 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3601 views