missed periods

Halina
on 4/24/05 2:31 am - NY
Many years ago, the longest I ever dealt with not having a period because of PCOS was for 8 months. At that time the doctors in charge of my health did not have a clue about it. They never considered it. Their general assumption was that I was overweight and that was it. Every month their decision was for me to have only a pregancy test done and that was it. Surprise, surprise, no baby! So I went outside of my health care provider and spent over 1000 big ones at a medical center that specialized in womens health. That place was run by Dr. Penny Wise Budoff. She wrote a book on menopause that became very popluar. She was on the Johnny Carson show too. And that was after she did my first D & C. Armed with that medical information and the test results, I pretty much went upside my medical providers head. That was it for me. No more of dealing with inadequate health care just because I was fat. Stay on top of this. Do not let your health care provider dismiss this disease because the outcome can leave to the various stages of hyperplasia. Including the last final stage of hyperplasia that results in cancer. There are several medications that can bring on a period and help you regulate it. But keep in mind that losing weight will tinker with it too. Even if you are on meds that are suppose to keep you regular. As for me, I am on 10 mgs of provera for 10 days for manyyears now. Since I have lost 80 pounds after being banded, I can get my period earlier than those ten days of provera treatment. I have missed a few periods but not 4 in a row. And the beauty of the band in my case is that when I haven't gotten it, oddly enough I have not retained any gained weight because of the PCOS like I used to. Go figure! Keep on top of your missed periods with with your doctor. Halina
Ann
on 8/21/05 7:04 am - Simi Valley, CA
The build up can be a problem medically, so if you go more than a few months, you should go to your PCP and get these little white pills (I can't think of the name)..you take them 2 a day for 10 days and wham, your period appears. They are the hormone that naturally would build up to make it happen if our systems weren't so screwed up with the PCOD and excess weight.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1049 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2998 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3609 views