Glucophage Question

DenikaMenis
on 12/17/05 1:00 pm - Hiddenite, NC
Hello, I have a quick question about Glucophage. I have been on it for years to help me with ovulation because of my insulin resistance. To make a long story short, I do have one child after fertility treatments, IUI's, miscarriages, and all that wonderful stuff. I took Glucophage the whole time. My surgeon told me to stop taking it after surgery, and I think he tells all his patients that. The thing is though that most of them are taking it for diabetes. So, my question is, how many of you still take it even after your surgery? Thank you very much! http://www.cleftadvocate.org/ff0404Jamie.html Denika Menis
Halina
on 12/18/05 12:23 am - NY
I do the provera for my PCOS. But did you post this on the Lapband board too? I would because I remember a number of Bandsters on there with the same problem that had good results. Halina
DenikaMenis
on 12/18/05 5:51 am - Hiddenite, NC
Halina, Thank you for responding to my question! I have taken Provera in the past to make me have my period, but the weird thing is, (I really even hate to write this because I'm afraid it will jinx it or something) I have had my period regularly for the last 3 or 4 months. I only had my surgery on July 26th, so it hasn't been that long, and it's not like I've lost a massive amount of weight. Weird, huh? I will post this on the Lapband board though. Thank you! Denika
KellyJo
on 12/18/05 1:56 am - Worcester, MA
Hi First of all, your son is adorable! Wish I had one (or two). Anyway, I take 500 mg of metformin 3x daily. My doctor has been very supportive of me taking it. Since starting I've had regular periods monthly (yeah!). My surgery was lapband in feb. 2005. Kelly L
DenikaMenis
on 12/18/05 5:58 am - Hiddenite, NC
Kelly L, Oh, thank you so much for saying such nice things about my little boy. He is a mess! I know exactly how you feel about wanting a child, and it's a feeling that you just can't really understand unless you've been there. I will pray that you will have your own one day soon! I'm glad to know that you are taking metformin after lapband surgery, and I think I'll ask my doctor about it. I know that I've had my period for the last several months, but I also know all too well that that can change at any time! Thank you so much for writing me. How are you doing with your band? Denika
AK
on 12/19/05 7:54 am - western, MA
Denika, I had my surgery in July too - anyway, I was taking 2000 mgs of metformin a day before surgery to help regulate my period/insulin resistance/PCOS....my surgeon, and the hospital could not understand that I was not diabetic. They wanted to test my blood sugar - irritating that more surgeons don't understand about metformin's off label useage. My doctor couldn't understand why I went back on it in August. I was back to getting boils, which I got before being diagnosed with IR and going on metformin. Also, my periods were way out of whack....then again, they always seem to be. I have my period for 2-3 weeks a month, which sucks. Anyway, I am back on the metformin, 1000 mgs and increasing to 1500 mgs a day. I am down 33 pounds, so haven't lost a significant amount of weight yet - slow and steady, but not a huge amount to see if things have changed. So yes, some of us stay on the metformin postop.
noahjordan
on 12/18/05 7:58 am - Conover, NC
I continue to have severe insulin resistance and now rebound hypoglycemia. I took 2000mg metformin/glucophage daily until the hypoglycemic episodes started in August. My endocrinologist now has me on Avandamet, which is Avandia and Metformin/glucophage. The Metformin/Glucophage dose is now 1000 mg daily in 2 doses. Most surgeons and family physicians don't understand PCOS with insulin resistance and think you're taking it for type 2 diabetes, which resolves for many people as the weight decreases. If you see an endocrinologist, get his/her opinion and notify your surgeon, or have your endocrinologist talk with your surgeon about the glucophage. I wouldn't just stop it. Insulin resistance doesn't always resolve after weight loss or a surgical weight loss procedure.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1049 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2997 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3609 views