PCOS and overall weight loss

Ambitious
on 2/18/06 8:04 am - Havertown, PA
I had RNY in April 2005 and my weight loss has been slow over the past several months. I am working out at least four times a week. I have my food in order. I know that I am going to get to goal but I am 50 lbs away still and it's a little disheartening. Any advise or shared experiences would be greatly appreciate. Feel free to contact me at [email protected]. Thanks, Samaria
Allison M.
on 2/20/06 5:10 am
Are you being treated for your PCOS? Are you seeing an Endocrinologist? I had a difficult time with weight loss until I began Metformin, and I wasn't insulin resistant or diabetic. The weight loss was not consistant, for me, until I started the Met. It has helped all of my PCOS symptoms. I actually began gaining weight at seven months post-op. That's when I new I had something wrong with me. I was finally diagnosed with PCOS a few months later. Have you had your androgen levels (Testosterone) checked? Sometimes people feel that PCOS doen't need to be actively treated if you are not trying to conceive. We are at great risk for Diabetes, Cardiovascular disease and strokes etc...Weight loss and exercise are a great start, but there is so much more to PCOS. Thin women also have PCOS. It really needs to be treated by a knowledgeable Endocrinologist. I see mine now every 3-4 months. She orders about 17 different blood test (Seven tubes!) each time. We really keep a close eye on my labs. I have suffered from anemia, but that is about it.
tymomrn
on 3/4/06 9:12 am - Collingswood, NJ
I was on metformin for a year. Lost 85 lbs. This was 2 years before wls. I had to go off of it because i couldn't stand the side effects any more. I had the ****s so often, I was afraid to drive to far or go for a walk. I was taking immodium like it was going out of style. So I took myself off of it, and gained 50lbs before I went for wls. But I DID have insulin resistance, and I don't now, and I am having a terrible time trying to lose any more weight. 66lbs so far. I work out twice a day and am eating well. Maybe I need to go back on something else...
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1049 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2998 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3609 views