Dark skin?

(deactivated member)
on 3/6/06 9:06 am - PA
I was diagnosed with PCOS at 19 and have several areas where my skin is dark. Mostly where there is skin on skin contact - underarms, back of neck etc. The part that bothers me most is that it makes me look like I am not washing well. I read that this was one of the (many) symptoms of PCOS. Has anyone else had problems with this? If so, where there any over the counter treatments that could help fade these areas? I hate being self conscious about sleeveless shirts.
leanner977
on 3/6/06 11:40 pm - Hobart, IN
It's called Acanthosis Nigricans. The only things I've heard help are: losing weight (of course), following a low carb diet, sometimes Metformin/Glucophage (both that and low carb reduce insulin levels and that helps) and things liek Retin-A and alpha hydroxies sometimes. Also, birth control pills can aggrivate them situation. So I don't know how much that helps you. Maybe you can find a long lasting powder/cover up slightly lighter and try to hide it if it bothers you that much. I've always had the "if you don't like how I look then don't look at me" attitude when it comes to things like sleeveless shirts...but I can understand where you're coming from.
(deactivated member)
on 3/7/06 12:58 am - PA
I am on BC pills to regulate my periods and metformin for the insulin resistance. There is no cover up in the world that could cover this. Its really dark. Maybe I'll slap some of the differin gel I use for my acne under my arms tonight. See what happens. Hopefully, after WLS this will all go away. I know what you are saying about the "if you don't like how I look then don't look at me" attitude. I don't care if people don't like my flabby arms, I just have this thing about people thinking I'm dirty. I'm weird like that I guess.
leanner977
on 3/7/06 1:11 am - Hobart, IN
Ahh the ever enjoyable BCP to regulate periods...I remember those days. We you on BCP before the metformin? I only ask because I know many women (I belong to a couple message boards for POCS) who, with met alone get regular periods. I'm not on BCP and take actos for IR (I can't deal with the met side effects) and since I started actos it's been totally regular. It never was before. Though with the WLS upcoming probably want to stay on the pill anyway since you'll need some reliable birth control post-op. I don't know if we're supposed to post links here, so I apologize if we aren't. www.soulcysters.com has ALOT of PCOS information www.pcosmommies.com is a great message board with wonderful women(we just moved to that site so it looks a little slow right now but it's not)
(deactivated member)
on 3/7/06 10:33 pm - PA
Yes I was on BCP before metformin. Then I was off the BC pills and on Metformin when we were trying to conceive. Still my periods were not regular. They had to be forced every month AFTER I got the negative pregnancy test. Heartbreaking, but I'm sure many people in this forum know all about that. I will be on the BCP after WLS, but I will be off as soon as its ok. I have one daughter (adopted) who needs a sibling. (She asked for one for her birthday - she's going to be 4.) So another child would be one of the most wonderful things to happen to us! Thanks for the links and all your help. I'll check them out! Its really nice to have all you guys here to talk to. I am surrounded by people who just don't understand.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1049 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2998 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3609 views