Recent Posts

Nicole T.
on 9/12/08 4:03 am
Topic: RE: confused and need your help
I had RNY seven month ago today. despite my bad eating habits, I've still lost 81 lbs so far and i get my periods w/out medication. i can't speak for the ds but it is a more aggressive procedure and only people who can truly be compliant w/ the vitamins will be healthy in my opinion. ds wasn't an option for me since i don't think my insurance covered it and I wanted something that would keep me from overeating. the ds doesn't give you as small a stomach. vsg i've heard has good results as well but i know the rny worked for me.
Heidi S.
on 9/11/08 12:20 pm - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Topic: PCOS and DS
I am gathering information for both the RNY and DS with regards to how they help with PCOS after surfery. If you had DS surgery how did change your PCOS and what was your weight loss like?

Thank you
Heidi

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Surgery Aug. 29, 2012 with the Wonderful Dr. Aarts at TEGH

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Candle
on 9/10/08 7:40 am - Long Island, NY
Topic: RE: irregular hair growth (Chin!) how long did it take you...

I'm one year out and almost to a "normal" BMI and my PCOS seems to be completely under control.  I've had 7 laser treatments over the last 8 months and I'm pretty disappointed. The hair grows a lot slower and a lot is gone but not anywhere near what I was hoping for.

Next stop - electrolysis

Sorry to be a bummer ....

10cc APS band. 
Placed w/ .5cc's.
Fills: 11/5/07 ... 2cc's & 6/15/10 ... 1.5cc's & 3/25/11 .... 1 cc

H311/S295/G175/  C164

Candle
on 9/10/08 7:28 am, edited 9/10/08 7:33 am - Long Island, NY
Topic: RE: Women with PCOS: What surgery did you have? How successful was it?

I have the Lap Band and I've been SUPER successful but it's not for everyone.

I don't think my PCOS is severe. I would miss like 2-3 cycles per year. Some women don't ovulate AT ALL. I was on Metformin for awhile but with the weight loss my periods have been like clock work! (heavier though)

I also recommend looking into the DS.

10cc APS band. 
Placed w/ .5cc's.
Fills: 11/5/07 ... 2cc's & 6/15/10 ... 1.5cc's & 3/25/11 .... 1 cc

H311/S295/G175/  C164

Iman M.
on 9/10/08 2:06 am - Arlington, VA
Hi - thanks everyone for your respones...lots to think about!!
Kristy T.
on 9/9/08 3:35 am - Stockton, CA
Topic: RE: Progesterone DURING Pregnancy
I've been fortuate that both of my pregnancies have not needed progesterone supplements.  I'm not sure of the side effects of it but have you been to www.soulcysters.com ?  It's a support/information for women with PCOS and there are lots of pregos there who've taken progesterone (many in my due date group) who may be able to better answer your questions about it.

BTW - I'm glad that so far this one is sticky!  Good luck!!
                     102_1463.jpg image by goddess819                                               102_1481.jpg image by goddess819    
Lilypie - (8NSG)            Lilypie - (HyKO) 
Kristy T.
on 9/9/08 3:30 am - Stockton, CA
I too can speak only for the RNY.  I never had a period...even with Provera I had little response.  I would spot for an hour and be done.  I also had severe IR & diabetes as well as acanthosis nigricans, acne, hypertension & severe sleep apnea. 

I stopped my diabetes medications the day before RNY and have not needed to go back.  My fasting glucose & insulin are normal as is my A1C.  My AN, acne, and sleep apnea are all gone.  My hypertension did go away but for some reason at 2y3m post op it came back.  The facial hair I have is still there and although it didn't go away it did stop getting worse.  The only thing that will make to away permanently would be laser removal.

For me the RNY worked.  In 6 months I'd lost 100lb and was at goal at 1 year post op with a loss of 114lb.  The weight loss also corrected my hormone imbalance and after 8+ years of failed fertility treatments we were able to get pregnant the 1st month ttc at 16m post op.  I had a healthy pregnancy & baby girl.  Now we're happily expecting our 2nd miracle and this baby girl is due just before Christmas.

Ideally the choice for which surgery to have is up to you.  I'm very happy with my RNY choice.  Good luck deciding!
                     102_1463.jpg image by goddess819                                               102_1481.jpg image by goddess819    
Lilypie - (8NSG)            Lilypie - (HyKO) 
Tea
on 9/8/08 1:59 pm - Moore Haven, FL
VSG on 07/11/12
Topic: RE: Women with PCOS: What surgery did you have? How successful was it?
Hi there,

I haven't had my surgery yet, but a coule of Dr.'s told me that the DS has the best results for PCOS, but that all WLS reduce the symptoms.

Tea

HW 311 - (pre opt liq diet 272) - SW 264 - CW 196- GW 150

Lovin my
SLEEVE

ajf78
on 9/8/08 12:43 pm - IL
Topic: RE: insulin resistance - please read!
 My AN got SOOO much better!  My periods normalized and a lot of my PCOS symptoms went away.  Insulin resistence, a part of PCOS, is not so much of an issue becuase as part of the post surgery behavior, we have to avaiod foods that trigger insulin production (carbs, sugar).  PCOS will not go away, but its symptoms can lessen significantly with weight loss.  Good luck with getting your surgery rescheduled.
deb_m
on 9/8/08 11:07 am - Sanford, NC
Topic: RE: Anyone still ravenous after RNY or similar WLS?
Well you're onto cue #1 - the carbs.  The more carbs you eat, the more you want to eat.  It's really crazy. 

I do get ravenously hungry, and I'll tell you what I've done.  I eat every 2.5 - 3 hours.  Small, small meals, but every few hours.  That helps control the hunger.  Make sure every time you eat you're including some protein.  And...if it's not time to eat yet, but you're feeling hungry...drink!  That will usually do the tric****il it's time to eat again.  Mainly, make sure you're following the rules:  get your fluids, get your protein, and don't drink with your meals.  Good luck!
Deb
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1048 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2995 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3608 views