Recent Posts

Terri B.
on 9/17/08 9:57 am - St. Louis, MO
Topic: RE: PCOS and DS

Hi!

I had/have PCOS and I'm not sure how surgery has changed it.  My hair loss has stopped and the hair that grew back post surgery is wavy while the rest of my hair is straight :).  I've had a hysterectomy so I can't say that it has effected my fertility tho.  Mood wise, I think I'm on a more even keel so I think hormonally it is better.

Living well is the best revenge
tbines401
on 9/17/08 9:52 am - Columbia, SC
Topic: RE: PCOS & Tri-Care Insurance Approval
Hi my name is Tara and I have started the process to begin having the lapband surgery. I have Tricare Prime. My PCM gave me a referral to see a surgeron to start the process. My BMI is 41 and I have sleep apnea. I also suffer with chronic pain in my heels and ankles due to this weight. I have saw the nutritionist, the physical therapy person, the psychiatrist I have done the upper GI, the lab work and went to the heart doctor, but I have yet to see the surgeron that will do my surgery. Do you have any idea how many more appointments I will have and when does Tricare say ok yes you are approved to have the Lapband Surgery.
Claws253
on 9/17/08 8:47 am - Princeton, WV
Topic: Question about sweating???

I really would like to know if anyone else out there has the same problem I do?  I seem to sweat so ,so, so much!  I can just do simple things like v *** empty the dishwasher and the AC is on high!  It is so bad that I take a bath in very, very cool water.  My poor husband freezes all the time.  When I put on make-up, I have to stand in front of a fan or right in the path of the airconditioner, or it all runs off.  Then when I go outside it runs off my face because of how I sweat.  It is gotten so bad, that my sun block ( I wear it on my face daily.)  will not stay on.  I wake up at night and my pillow is damp.  I have to keep one in the floor to switch off in the middle of the night.  I have told my endocrinologist, my PCP, and my OBGYN.  They seem to act like it is nothing, but it is very hard to deal with.  I had talked to another member on here before who had this sweating from her PCOS, and I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.  If they had or have, did your surgery help it?  Thanks, Cindy 

Claws253
on 9/17/08 8:20 am - Princeton, WV
Topic: RE: pcos after RNY ????

Hey Amy.  I also have PCOS, and do not want children.  I am 35, and have felt this way for atleast 6 years.  I have tried since I was 28-29 years old to get them to tie my tubes.  I have a stepson, and that is good enough for me.  I know it sounds awful, but my husband and I just don't want kids.  They always said that I was to young, and since I haven't had any children they would not do it.  I haven't tried in the last couple years, maybe they would now.  So, I would surely ask if they would if that is what you want.  As far as the Depo shot, I took it one time when I was about 28, it made me crazy!!!!!       I was an emotiomal mess!!   So, I can't help you much with that I am sorry.  But, if you don't want children then I think getting your tubes tied is a smart decision.  I would try to stress the fact that you do have PCOS, and that might help convince the Dr. Good Luck!!   Cindy

Steph anie
on 9/17/08 6:33 am - Denton, TX
Topic: RE: PCOS and DS
Heidi,

There are several PCOS DSers on the DS board. I would pose this question over there. I have PCOS and will have the DS on Monday. From the other sufferers the PCOS seems to go away fairly soon after surgery.

Here is the link
/wwwww.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/a,messageboard/board_id,535 7/

I am so happy that you are researching your options. One of the reasons that I choose the DS is because of my PCOS.

HW 318/ SW 308/ CW 116/ GW 125 (updated 11/11/09)

Follow my journey at:  http://savoringmyjourney.wordpress.com/

Get all the facts at www.DSfacts.com.  

Century Club 03/27/09    Onderland 04/15/09 Goal Met: 02/26/10

kaat14
on 9/17/08 2:40 am - Greenville, SC
Topic: RE: Life Changing Article (95.8 lbs lost in 5 months)

I read some of that article but it wasn't my magazine and I don't remember everything in it.  I am interested in learning what exactly you are doing or getting a copy of that article.  I am currently 334 pounds (OMG..I can't believe I just openly told everyone my weight) and have a multitude of medical problems including a severe case of PCOS.  I am scheduled to meet with the surgeon next week to discuss Gastric Bypass.  At this point, I am willing to do anything to lose.  I have tried other diets, plans, etc but with no success.  I never really have any success.  I will lose 10 pounds or so and gain it right back while still doing the program, diet, etc.  Case in point, I have been following a low fat diet and began exercising recently.  I lost around 10 pounds but gained it back in 2 days.  My PCP said it was water gain but I haven't changed anything and I drink only water and it still has not come back off.

So, if you know where I can get a copy of that article and, if you are willing, then let me know what you have been doing I would greatly appreciate it!!

KAAT 

Get busy living....or get busy dying!

amy C.
on 9/15/08 6:54 pm
Topic: RE: I need help getting surgery
I f you dont have insurance you can and should apply for medicaid, if you are overweight you need medical care and chances are if you dont have insurance your not seeing a doctor regularly to be evauluated for such life threatning diesases such as diabete and hypertension..  Even if your working you may qualify. Now once thats done I know in some states medicaid does cover weight loss surgery.  If thats not an option you are comfortable with maybe you could contact and surgeon and se what types of loans they have or apply for a loan .

If your not comfortable with the medicaid thing please at least check around for local clinincs to get a physical if you havent had one recently to be sure things are ok.

AMy
amy C.
on 9/15/08 6:44 pm
Topic: pcos after RNY ????
Hello everyone Im 30 and was diagnosed with pcos about 8 yrs ago. i had RNY june 2 after my obgyn asked i fihad considered it.  So I have noticed some slight imporvemnt on the facial hair ( thank goodness it bothered me more than the weight at times) but my question is about  a monthly cycle.  I am on depoprovera and I know people have no cycle due to that but with my body changing am i now gonna get my friend ever . I havent had one in about 4-5 years.  I think the depo will keep it at bay but wantd to see what anyone out  there experienced.  I used to get a short one about the time my shots were due but that was years ago.  

I know a lot of people ou there wit PCOS are trying to concieve and would love to have a monthly visitor but honestly I dont want  to give birth ever and if i ever decide to have children am more than willing to adopt a child whos here already and needs a loving home.   So with that do you think i could convince my DR to snip and clip?  I have asked before but they dont like tying tubes if your young, single, and no kids.  My surgery has not changed my mind .

Thanks,
AMY
wildrose021
on 9/15/08 6:55 am - MN
Topic: starting metformin broken bone?
I havent started my metformin yet cause I broke my finger before
the chance, im thinking I should wait untill im healed to start taking
it right, I have a couple more weeks of healing to go.
wildrose021
on 9/15/08 6:52 am - MN
Topic: RE: insulin resistance - please read!
Mine went away completly!!! I didnt even know what it was or
what was causing it untill after my surgery.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1048 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2995 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3609 views