Vitamins What To Take-Another Question

Heather S.
on 4/12/11 11:06 pm
All,

I forgot to ask this in my earlier post, is it necessary to take Bariatric Vitamins?  Are they really specially formulated for bariatric patients?  Why not just take regular adult vitamins that are chewable?  I'm super confused.
Thank You,

Heather

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/13/11 2:28 am
It is not required to take bariatric vitamins. You can take chewable - as long as the are complete vitamins. A lot of them are not.  i.e Centrum or Centrum equivalent are a good choice. For RNY - we need 2 x the daily dosage, for a band - 1 x only
But even with that - some of us, RNY - do not absorb all the vits at the same way. So we need additional vits. i.e I take B12 injections, extra iron, B-complex, D-3, biotin, calcium, and magnesium.  I also notice that I need extra vit K.  So I added that also... (bad bruising)

The vitamins regime needs to be adjusted for individual needs.  Some people will need more than others.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Heather S.
on 4/13/11 2:40 am
Hala,

Thanks for your response, I was thinking the same and really had to check myself on this.  Bariatric vitamins?  I realize that not all vitamins are formulated the same but i was thinking that there was something special in Bariatric vitamins vx. regular ones.  I may go the Centrum route.  Just want to be sure that I'm prepared.

Have you tried the B12 nasal spray?  I recently got some from my hematologist (suffer from severe anemia/low iron since original rny surgery in '03).  I kinda like the spray over the shots.  I can't stand a needle.

Heather
Thank You,

Heather

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/13/11 3:19 am
No nasal spray for me.  I do not mind the needles. I acctually give them myself.

BTW: I buy Centrum chewable - since the large pills upset my pouch. But if youcan swallow pills - you can get the pills. I also use the CVS brand chewable - Centrum equivalent. So many times they have byuy one - get one free and when i see that - I stock on them.  paying $4 for a month worth of multi helps my budget.

BTW: I had low iron and had a really hard tie to take the iron - even carrbonyl (best for us). So a friend recommended a heme iron. Profferin ES.  I can take taht with no problem, but it is a little on the expensive side.  But - if it helps - I am willing t o pay to get my numbers up.   I know that in 2 months my ferritin went from 11 to 18. Now I have been taking that for 9 months, and I will have my labs in June. So I hope the ferritin really improved.

BTW: the centrum is also very often on sale in CVS.  check that also. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kim H.
on 4/13/11 8:05 am - Duluth, MN
I agree..the only reason I take a vitamin twice daily is because I am taking Children's chewable Flintstone's vitamins. IF my pharmacy carried the liquid adult vitamin that is what was the preferred choice, but it was OK'd by the doctor to take 2 chewable children's per day

~Kim~

Kim H.
on 4/13/11 6:23 am - Duluth, MN
My doctor was VERY clear! 2 Viactive Calcium chews per day (morning and night) as well as chewable multiple vitamins. My pharmacy does not carry adult chewables so I take 2 chewable Flintstone's vitamins, 1 in the morning and 1 at night. He was also a bit more lenient as far as the protein shakes for the liquid diet. I got to have tomato soup as long as it was made with milk and I added protein to it in the form of 3 TBSP of instant non fat dry milk(coulda used protein powder but given the choice the powdered milk was/is cheaper. I also got Slim Fast adn Muscle Milk and I could make hot chocolate from Hershey's cocoa powder, again as long as I added the dry milk to bump up the protein.
But as I was starting to say, my doc was very clear , I got a whole 3 ring binder with the journey an the process all laid out for me. Your doc should be telling you what to use. Just my opinion. Take it or leave it. Have a great day. I know whatever you do , you will succeed! Good luck to you!

~Kim~

Most Active