LACTOSE INTOLERANT?????

Chauntelle C.
on 10/21/06 4:00 am - Havelock, NC
RNY on 10/09/06 with

Lately, when I drink my protein shake (mixed wth milk) I get gassy, REALLY GASSY and crampy andkind of nauseious... could I be lactose intolerant???  PLEASE SAY NO... I LOVE MILK, and I LOVE my sugar free icecream, and I LOVE MY MILK....LOL  If I am, is it permanent?  How am I supposed to get my protein in if I cant mix it with milk???  I gag at the premade drink by isopure... I dont know what to do. Does anybody have a way of making those premade drinks tolerable?  like freezing and mixing with something???  ANYTHING!  I NEED my protein as Im still on a liquid diet and the milk is REALLY starting to get to me! Thank you for all of your help, I love having y'all to turn to!

Chauntelle Chandler  California City, Ca

239/127/125 - 2 pounds from goal!!
just jacie
on 10/21/06 5:28 am - Minneapolis, MN
That does sound like lactose intollerance. Are you able to take pills? I know they have that Lactaid, you could ask your surgeon if you are allowed to take it. I used to be lactose intollerant before surgery. Actually it was about 10 years ago. I would get really bad gas, sometimes diarrhea, etc... anytime I had ice cream, pizza, milk, but I was stubborn and would not give up those foods, and eventually I quit having those symptoms. I'm not sure what happened, if somehow my body just got used to it, or what?? It was wierd. I was worried I would go back to the intollerance after surgery, but so far so good. I hope this works all works out for you! jacie
roberta J.
on 10/21/06 5:48 am - easton, MA
I have been lactose intolerant for years. My son is also, but not my daughter. We drink fat free lactaid milk. It is quite good, although I once tried drinking it with my oreo cookies, and it wasn't quite right! (before surgery, of course). There are also lactaid pills that are taken with your first bite of dairy. These can be crushed or chewed. I haven't tested myself yet since I have had surgery (3 weeks ago). Just carry around the pills, and you will be all set! Good Luck

"Come Along and Ride on My Fantastic Voyage" My Angel Karen... I Miss You 

Christin S.
on 10/21/06 9:02 am - Colorado Springs, CO
yup, those are the typical signs of lactose intolerance. I use lactaid for everything now and LOVE it. To me it tastes better than regular milk. The weird part is that its only in certain things I react, but others I don't.  Still... I'm playing it safe for n ow. :)
Christin         -          Lap-RNY - 8/15/2006 - Gallbladder removed 11/22/06

Linda G.
on 10/21/06 9:05 am - Corpus Christi, TX
It's possible that the protein is causing it. I thought I was becoming lactose intolerant, but it turns out it was not the milk. I switched to New Whey protein vials and it solved the problem for me. Either way, good luck!
Chauntelle C.
on 10/22/06 1:44 am - Havelock, NC
RNY on 10/09/06 with
I went and bought lactose free milk and im still getting sick.  tell me about these vials you were taking about.  I am NOT getting my protein in and I dont want to get sick.. and the longer i go w/out protein the slower my weightloss gets...

Ann M.
on 10/21/06 9:42 am - Peoria, AZ
I wasn't lactose intolerant before surgery but I am now.  I drink the lactaid milk.  I don't notice any difference in taste.  I also take the lactaid pills before ice cream or eating cheese.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Chauntelle C.
on 10/21/06 12:22 pm - Havelock, NC
RNY on 10/09/06 with
I am going to ask my doctor for lactaid pills, I went out and bought some 100% lactose free reduced fat milk at the grocery store and will try that in the morning...  I tried some mashed potatoes tonight and NOPE, they made me ill so I think its definately milk... although I did put some milk in my hot tea and it hasnt had any effect on me!  HMMM  oh well i am going to enjoy my hot tea, im so tired of water its not funny Thank you for your advice!

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/06 2:07 pm - Plano, TX
Did you have your gall bladder removed during your surgery.  I did, and I was told it would make me lactose intolerant.  It did, and now I'm on lactose-free milk.  I has gotten better though, and I was told that it would.
Miss Redd
on 10/21/06 3:03 pm - Lancashire, United Kingdom

Hi! I am still pre-op, but in the classes I attended, I was told to expect to become lactose intolerant. Something about the way milk sugar**** your system (much quicker just like plain old sugar) and will cause dumping.  They suggest a lactose free diet, or add Lactaid (I think that is the name of it). Just wanted to share that. Hopefully things will get better for you soon! Therese

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 1 replies · 16 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 257 views