Protein sucks... Please Help

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/06 6:46 am - Eagle River, AK

I’m really feeling depressed today. I am almost five months out and I’m still having problems with food; mostly dense foods like meat or raw fruit and veggies. They make me feel nauseous and I can't eat very much; one of two bites and that's it. I have tried every protein shake out there, and have settled on one that I really don’t enjoy, but sucks less than the others. I try to drink two a day, and I’m getting in 60-80 grams of protein a day, but I don’t enjoy it. But high carb stuff like bread, crackers, chips and popcorn gives me no trouble at all. I know I'm not supposed to eat that stuff, and I am avoiding it (except popcorn) but they are the only things that actually taste good to me and will go down without making me feel sick. I'm really worried that eventually I might break down and start bingeing on that stuff. I really don't want to lose what I have achieved thus far. This surgery is my last chance. If I gain the weight back then my co morbidities will come back, and I will die before my time and leave my wife and children to carry on without me. If my body needs this protein so much, why is it rejecting it? Shouldn’t I be craving protein? I'm really confused about this and more than just a little scared…

Christin S.
on 10/22/06 7:26 am - Colorado Springs, CO
I know the feeling, but I finally gave in to a protein shake I can stomach (I left a post a little further down).  I hate eating all of this protein and I too want to eat the carbs.  I try to compromise by adding a little bit to my food.  Less than the protein, but I still add it. The protein shake I was referring to is called Spiru-tein and I love it. Its like a treat.  In a way it is (the carbs are) but the protein with lactaid for me brings it to the max of 25g and I do that 2x a day.  This morning I had cookies & cream shake and it was ok (I'm not a cookie person) but there are so many others out there I still have to try.  I highly recommend you try them, its really like a treat and in the 3 days I've been doing those, I've lost weight, AND I have no carb cravings because I know I get a treat.  I know so well what you're feeling.  I realized for myself it will always be a struggle....
Christin         -          Lap-RNY - 8/15/2006 - Gallbladder removed 11/22/06

Dawn S.
on 10/22/06 9:40 am
Where do you get these shakes? 
susandoeshair
on 10/22/06 7:28 am - Alexander, AR
Hi Bob, I see you live in Alaska...great fishing there, have you tried that? Fish is such a great source of protein and I would think it's easier on your stomach than beef or chicken. Have you tried putting fruit in your shakes? I slice bananas and freeze the slices, then put them into zip locks to use as ice in my blender shakes. I'm only 5 weeks out, so I couldn't dare try raw veggies, but I have had canned green beans and just mashed them with my fork.  How about V-8 juice??? If you're going to eat carbs, how about whole wheat toast, whole wheat  wheat thins, and just keep the chips out of the house. Do you have any access to a support group in your area, maybe at the hospital where you had your surgery? I'd contact your doc or nut. to see if they can help.  We all know how you feel about surgery being your last chance. You've gotten this far, try not to give in. We're here for you!!!!

Susan

mreal
on 10/22/06 8:38 am - Waban, MA
Say it ain't so Bob you are always so upbeat.  This weekend when I was really struggling you were one the people I thought of.  I am having a terrible time adjusting and  was thinking it had to get better.  Weekends are really tough times for us because we would normally eat our way through them.  Maybe this is just weekend head hunger and it will pass.  I hope so.  Hang in there you are too positive to let this get the best of you.  Mindy
Miss Redd
on 10/22/06 9:23 am - Lancashire, United Kingdom

Hi Bob! I am a pre-op girl, but congrats on your success thus far! What about flavorless protein? I heard that you can mix that with food and/or drink. I have ordered some to try out. Not sure-still learning stuff everyday.

Also-I lived in Alaska for over 10 years. I lived in Cordova. I LOVED it-and I believe I may even retire in Alaska one day. To me-it's home. Fall is coming and you guys are starting to lose some light. Sounds like lots of changes for you right now!

Hope all turns out okay and you can find something that sits well with you!

Peace!

Therese

OkieAngel
on 10/22/06 10:00 am - Harrah, OK
  Oh, Bob, I have to agree that you're one of the people whose posts I always look forward to.  You are such an upbeat person.  I really hope you get through this.  I think, hopefully, it's just a phase.  Maybe your body is starting to say, okay, enough of this stuff, give me the junk.  Don't give in.  You've done so wonderfully.  I agree that you should maybe try to find a support group to go and talk to people, in person, about what's going on.  I wish you the very best! 

Angel

Karen S.
on 10/22/06 11:28 am - Wailuku, HI
Aloha Bob...I am so sorry you are having trouble with food. It does seem strange that your body accepts carbs but not protein. Have you mentioned that to your surgeon and support people? I, too, had problems with shakes until I found the Walker Diet shakes. They not only have 24 grams of protein, but also 100% of many daily vitamins, and they taste wonderful. My favorites are banana, capacino, and peach. You can find them at www.vitacost.com They are very reasonably priced, too. Have you tried things like shrimp, scallops, etc.? I love shrimp in my salads and that goes down easily for me. I wish you good luck. Please keep trying until you find your answers. Your family needs you! Aloha nui loa, KarenS
~*~Rose Y.
on 10/22/06 12:48 pm - Colusa, CA
I'm also pre-op Bob, so I have no real advice other than what the other pre-op poster stated about the flavorless unjury protein powder.  I plan on mixing mine with cyrstal light & sf yogurt. Have you tried "crockpotting" your meats & veggies  to make them more soft? I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. ((((hugs))))
                             jnksetgirlygirldgg.gif
                                     256/141/135

AlohaJenniH.... A.
on 10/22/06 12:51 pm - Ft. Sill, OK
Oh BOB!! Dont fall for those evil Carbs.. Once you start with them you cant stop... You are doing a great job and you will continue to do a great job...I am sure everyone goes through what you are going through and it will pass.....You are my inspiration and I havent even got through m y surgery yet...When I start feeling scared about it I think of the advice you have given and I feel so much better.... Your wife and kids need you so there is no checking out early...You will continue to fight the demons till they no longer want to fight you and give up...... Good luck my fellow Alaskan and know we are strong people......... Take care and if you need to chat you know where to find me....

Jenni        7          276.5      136    140     135
            starting lbs/surgeryday/current/DRgoal/my goal   

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 189 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 254 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 264 views