WLS friendly restaurants--let's make a list...

waitinggame
on 2/12/09 9:58 am - Bowie, MD
Is there a thread floating around out there about weight loss surgery friendly restaurants? If not, I think there should be. I'd love to hear about places that are friendly about ordering off the kids menu or making substitutions without a fuss or just some really WLS friendly fare on the menu.

Please do tell...

Denise

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

(deactivated member)
on 2/12/09 10:10 am - Falls Church, VA
 I dont order off of kids menu's because Im not a kid and dont need the extra attention brought on me by asking.

Places that have some great WLS friendly foods:

Au Bon Pain (a whole menu dedicated to us almost)
Cheesecake Factory (has several salads under 600 cal, lets face it...you wont eat more than half in a sitting)
Panera Bread (some really great soups - my favorite is the Black Bean Soup at 160 calories)
Applebee's Weigh****chers Menu (havent eaten there, but their stats are good)
Taco Bell's Fresco Menu
Wendy's Chili

I dont get out to eat much...but I think its easy to find anything high protein/low carb on almost any menu
Sam I Am
on 2/12/09 10:15 am - Raleigh, NC
I don't ask for smaller portions, but I do tend to order an appetizer or a cup of chili if it is available.  I can find something to eat at almost any restaurant.  My recent favorite is IHOP where I ordered scrambled eggs with cheese.  The entire breakfast with tip costs me three bucks.
Sam Iama
15 months and 200lbs, its my life and i'm back! Check out my blog.

elm62
on 2/12/09 10:23 am - Clarkston, MI
Ironically this just went though the MI forum. 

What I do at restaurants is order what I want, fish, steak, meatloaf......and get a to go container and add steamed veges or a broccoli slaw salad and bam I have another great meal or two!!! 

I'm anemic so I order steak out allot.  I order it cooked med/rare or med, then I eat the outer ring where it is cooked more so when I reheat it, it just cooks the steak a bit more and the middle does not overcook.  It has worked great for me.

Good luck,

Edie

You don't have to have a lump to have breast cancer!
Inflammatory Breast Cancer

www.ibcresearch.org

KimCruea
on 5/19/14 6:54 am

That's a great tip. I will be trying that.  Thanks for sharing it :D

mssharon
on 12/4/16 3:26 am

I do exactly the same thing! Great minds think and eat alike! 

Cleopatra_Nik
on 2/12/09 10:43 am - Baltimore, MD
Ever really look at kid's menus?  They are so UNHEALTHY!  Yeesh!  No wonder childhood obesity is raging on.  Anyhoo...

Denny's - I order a senior egg beaters omelette (and the waitstaff has never asked why and I thank them for that) and usually sip on tea while I'm waiting

Chik-Fil-A - I order a Chargrilled Southwest Salad w/ an extra chicken breast and both me and my two daughters get a meal. In general, however, their meal choices are really good compared to other fast food chains.  I even indulge in a 3 piece chicken strips from time to time.

Starbucks - for breakfast you can get oatmeal with protein powder in it!!!

Golden Corral - if you gotta go to a buffet this is the one to go to.  Easy to find healthy choices and plenty of them.  No reason you should go astray here.

Wendy's - we all know about the chili

I-HOP - sort of the same deal as with Denny's.  They offer egg substitute and I usually order a senior meal.

Applebee's - 5 words: Weigh****cher's French Onion Soup.  'Nuff said.

I haven't done too, too much restaurant hopping.  I like my own food better.  But those are the ones where I felt like "hey, this isn't so bad..."

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

wildchild5
on 2/12/09 10:46 am - Buffalo, NY
Applebees has WW French Onion Soup?!?!?!   

*hurrying to Google the nutritional info*

You can't leave everything up to Fate, she has a lot to do...sometimes you must lend her a hand!
betternbetter
on 2/12/09 11:10 am
Hi Denise,

Early out, I found out that the Chik-fil-A chicken soup went down really good and they were also great about letting me order it 'no noodles and extra broth."  

I also found around my 8th week that the Red Lobster parmesan crusted tilipia is great!

THe chicken breast at Zaxby's; chinese soups w/ no noodles; veggie plate at Cracker Barrell (you can even get pinto beans for protein); and I'm sure there's plenty more!

Great post--can't wait to see the responses for more ideas, myself! 

Barbara

tinkerbell025
on 2/12/09 11:20 am - Fargo, ND
Denny's- senior meals

Famous Dave's..lots of meat!

Any Mexican place..beans and more beans.ok, and the inners of a taco too

Hu Hut- you pick out what you want them to grill up. I pick lots of meats and a couple veggies. light on the sauce

Kelly/tink
(can tell I don't eat out much)
Maintaining! Start weight 257,Current weight 122,Loss of 135# and 114 inches,Size 22-24W now size 4 to 0 (zero),Healthy life=Priceless

www.onetruemedia.com/shared
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 264 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 381 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 164 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 255 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 136 views