JP drain wound healing

blazn963
on 2/21/10 8:20 am
I am 6 days out from lap RNY.  My jp drain was taking out after 3 days when I was leaving the hospital.  The question I have is how long does it take for hole where the drain was take to heal.  My followup appointment is on Wed. and will make sure to ask the surgeon if it is looking correct.  It dosent hurt just have to keep to changing the dressing.
MASONMOM
on 2/21/10 9:31 am - Hillsborough, NH
Im about 7 weeks out and they took my drain out the day before i left the hospital and by the next day it was pretty much closed already. i did leave a bandage on it until my follow up just for good measure but had no issues.
purplekelly
on 2/21/10 9:35 am
Do you have drainage coming out still? 

Mine was closed with steri-strips, and I didn't have any dressing over that.  The doc took those off at about a week out, and I just had a scab.  That scab fell off a few days ago, and it's all healed up and looking very good.  I am just shy of 5 weeks out.
Kelly
Lap RNY
1/19/10
Dr. Steele, Johns Hopkins Bayview

blazn963
on 2/21/10 9:37 am
Mine hasnt closed up yet. Its not leeking much at all barley gets a wet spot on the bandage in a day.  It is just an open hole about a quarter inch deep.  Just want to make sure its not to abnormal.
fortyandfat95831
on 2/21/10 12:57 pm
Sounds good.  Remember that hole is deep!!!!  It's amazing how fast our bodies heal!
WLS 4/6/09  Start Wt 227 Current Wt 140 (1/2010)
starting pants 18-20 now size 8 !!!!!!
K-T
on 2/21/10 11:01 pm - LA
if it still is getting your bandage even A LITTLE wet, let it stay open as long as it wants!!! This happened to me mine closed & it was still leaking & it busted open to let it's self finish draining...ewwww & thank God I was in the shower when it happened ( I thought I was bleeding to death..lol)...Went to my Dr & he showed me how to clean it from the inside out...that hole is DEEPPPPPP....be calm your body is doing what it wants & on it's own time...
Take Care,
Katherine

What you eat in private, will show in public!!!
need2dothis
on 2/21/10 11:25 pm - Eliot, ME
 Hi there!  I had my surgery the day after you. Same thing, took the drain out right before I left the hospital on Friday.  Took the bandage off the next day and just put a bandaid on it per my surgeron.  Mine is still open too, but no oozing, I think it looks good, a little red, but I think thats just healing. I see my surgeron on Thursday.  How are you doing/feeling?  Cindy
blazn963
on 2/22/10 12:01 am
Im doing really good.  I really would like to go back to work but dont have my work release note from my doc yet.  I see him on Wed.  The bariatric cordinator at the hospital who is a nurse says the wound needs to heal from the inside out.  She said it was very normal in how it was going.  Just to keep putting the 2x2 on it and changing them out every day after shower.
Bevangelista
on 2/22/10 12:36 am
My drain came out the day I left the hospital and it took a full 10 days for the wound to close up.  It drained a small amount the first few days -- I changed the bandage twice a day -- and then tiny amounts of drainage for about 7 more days.  The dressings were irritating my skin, so I changed over to a small square waterproof bandaid, sealed on all edges, after a few days.  By the time I had my 10-day post-op appt, you could see the wound was knitting up from the edges.  It took just a couple more days for it to be completely sealed and scabbed over.  It took much longer than I thought to heal but turned out fine.

Barbara

Doesn't include 8 lbs lost pre-surgery        
blazn963
on 2/22/10 2:55 am
Thank you for all the help.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 238 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 266 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?