I get sick to my stomach when......

ChasingButterflies
on 3/22/11 11:00 pm - FL
I sit at the dinner table with my family and watch and listen to them eat.  I am trying to squash these feelings of disgust, but they are slowly overtaking me!  I don't know how to deal.  I have to tell my son to slow down when he's eating, because he will literally shovel it down.  I didn't want to make my kids so aware of "being fat" at their young ages.  So, I've never harped on them about what they ate.  I will simply remind them to pick something healthy out of the pantry or fridge, or remind them to slow down and enjoy their food.  But, now my kids see me eating such a small meal and now my 9 year old son is telling me he doesn't want to eat his whole plate of food because he doesn't want to get fat.  And my 5 year old daughter is starting to say things to me about being fat.  I did this surgery to get healthy and to set a good example for my kids.  But, I didn't do it to make my kids insecure about the way they look.  I don't want kids with an eating disorder!  And I don't want my kids to feel less loved if they do end up being overweight.  This is a side effect of this surgery that I did not expect. 
~Brooke~
We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.  ~Maya Angelou    
Pre-Surgery Weight: 315  RNY 2-28-2011
(deactivated member)
on 3/22/11 11:13 pm - TX
I am doing the same thing. I was horrified at the portion of cereal my 15 year old son poured yesterday; and my daughter ate two huge pieces of apple pie that my mom made over the weekend last night.

I don't want to give anyone a complex either and I know that just because I have changed doesn't mean anyone else has. I also know weight is everyone's personal battle and I am dealing with a pre-teen and a teenager and they EAT EAT EAT......but its hard.

My seven year old asked me "Will I have to have skinny surgery when I get big?" I told her absolutely NOT, because she was going to eat healthy and be active. I don't want my kids to see this as a fixit either.
poet_kelly
on 3/22/11 11:35 pm - OH
Explain to your kids that you can only eat a small amount because of your surgery and that you take lots of vitamins to make sure you still get the  nutrition they  need.  Explain that they have a normal size stomach and they are growing so they need more food than you do right now in order to be healthy.  Try to focus on being healthy, not being fat or thin.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 448 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 404 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views