Worried about my surgery being approved

Mary B.
on 3/23/11 10:43 am
I have my final class tomorrow, and after that they are submitting everything to the insurance.  I was told by the office staff they submit your STARTING weight, but I was told by the surgeon they are submitting my CURRENT weight.   I'm very upset and worried now, I have lost some weight on the pre-op diet (almost 20 pounds) , went from a BMI of 42 to 38.  I'm proud of this, but I feel it may kill my hopes of this surgery.  I dont have to many health problems at the given time (asthma, gerd, depression, mild sleep apnea), but I feel if I do not get this surgery, things will get worse. High blood pressure, and diabetes run in my family.  My surgeon said I more than likely have POC i think it is (trouble conceiving and badly irregular periods)? and I have signs of pre-diabetes, as well as border line high blood pressure.  Technically I don't have them, but I'm about to...I just don't think my insurance will see this and feel like I need the surgery.

I'm very worried and heart broken about this, and I'm pretty sure there isn't a single thing I can do to make this any better :(

Did anyone have anything similar? and if Denied, what did you do??? (the insurance required 6 months pre-op classes and testing, does this need to be repeated if denied and you re-submit?)
(deactivated member)
on 3/23/11 10:55 am - SC
I too have PCOS, gerd, asthmas and I also have HBP.  I was worried about them submitting my weight at the time versus my weight at consultation.  They submitted the weight at consultation.  Your best bet would be to ask the insurance coordinator at your surgeon's office which weight they usually submit.  What are your insurance companies requirements?  Will they accept a BMI over 35 with comorbids?  Asthma, gerd, PCOS, pre-diabetes and sleep apena all count as co-morbids and I know my insurance company will approve a BMI of 35 or over with 2 or more comorbidities.  They will approve a BMI of 40 or over with none. 
shellybellymichele
on 3/23/11 10:56 am - Canton, OH
Pcos poly cystic ovarian syndrome. I have it and it sucks. My doctor says they send in starting weight and current weight that way they see you are serious and will stick to the program. At lease that is what they told me. I have one more appointment and then they will send it in to the insurance for approval.
Mary B.
on 3/23/11 11:22 am
They say they take people with a BMI of 35 if they have 3 comorbidities, but my surgeon said theres a loop hole with them and one had to be  a life threatening co-morbidity.  And I'm worried the mild sleep apnea wont be considered serious enough, cause its not full blown sleep apnea
Michelle L.
on 3/23/11 11:36 am - Phoenix, AZ
What is your insurance? I have Aetna, and my surgeon said they were submitting my starting weight. If the insurance requires you to do a 6 month diet (like mine did), it's obvious you're going to lose weight, and it doesn't seem fair to use that weight when they submit the info. I had a 40 BMI at the start of the 6 month diet and 38 by the time surgery rolled around. (I didn't lose much!)

You should call your surgeon's office and have them clarify. And tell them why you're worried.

Buterfly_12928
on 3/23/11 11:51 am
Hello,
I have MVP and they denied me the friday and my surgery was on monday. In my case they said because I had the lap-band and that was my chance to get things right. They were very nasty to me and degrading on the phone. My lap-band had slipped and was removed in emergency surgery. After they denied me i appealed which you can do on your own and your doctor can do too. By the time i was ready to do this on my own my doctor had already did it. My doctor won my case for me and I was ready for surgery. If they deney you don't get discouraged your doctor will fight for you. I didn't have to do anything but wait for the acceptance letter.