Tummy Tuck after surgery?

godsend213
on 3/26/11 5:56 am - Fort Carson, CO
Just curious to know if anyone is thinking about getting or have had a tummy tuck after surgery, My insurance will approve it, 1 year after surgery. I can't wait. I am only 11 days out of surgery but something more to look forward to! :) 
Ladytazz
on 3/26/11 6:06 am
I had my panni removed, which isn't a full tummy tuck, only the lower part of the stomach below the naval. I am very happy I did it. Even when I regained 100lbs my lower tummy was fine, it just bloated above the naval so it looked kind of strange. But now that I have lost the weight I am happy with how it looks for the most part. If you can though I would go with the full tummy tuck. If it isn't covered you may have to pay extra but I think it would be worth it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

lptazbear66
on 3/26/11 10:42 am - Murfreesboro, TN
I am curious Tazz, if you don't mind sharing.  Did you lose weight through WLS and then gain 100 lbs back then lose again?  I know this is a worry for many of us, me included.  What surgery did you have the 1st time around? 

RNY at Vanderbilt Nashville, TN July 26, 2010 with Dr Clements. All loss is post op        
Ladytazz
on 3/26/11 11:06 am
I lost 120lbs total and regained 100lbs.  Regain is a valid worry unfortunately.  No matter what surgery you have regain is possible.  Mine was directly a result of eating refined carbs, particularly sugar and flour, breads and pasta.  I had a very malabsorptive procedure.  I had a DS done in 2002.  My surgeon didn't like the DS and left my stomach too big because of his concerns about malabsorption.  I was able to eat too much and the wrong things and I regained because of it.
The important thing is to deal with whatever it was that lead to us needing WLS in the first place.  For me it was compulsive overeating combined with an addiction to refined carbs.  My mistake was that when I  had my first surgery I thought it was a magic cure.  The way the DS can be described can lead some people to think you can eat whatever you want and not gain weight, especially if that is what you want to believe.  It did work that way for me for a few years.  I lost 120lbs without changing the way I ate too much.  But after a while I started regaining and didn't deal with it directly.
I have learned from that experience and hopefully won't make the same mistakes but who knows?  I am still the same person that out ate my first WLS so my odds aren't that good.
It is hard to talk about because I have gotten put down a lot by people that have the DS.  They want to blame me and my surgeon for my result, maybe so they can feel that it can't happen to them.  I do blame myself.  My surgeon was not a very good DS surgeon and may not have done it the way it should have been done.  The DS is a very complicated surgery and should only be done by a surgeon who is very experienced and good at it.  So maybe if I had a better surgeon my results may have been better.  I have no way of knowing of course.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

happyhealing
on 3/26/11 6:35 am
I didnt know the insurance would cover that.  Do you have blue shield?
godsend213
on 3/26/11 8:35 am - Fort Carson, CO
No I have tricare prime (military ins) but I do know there are quite a few ins companies that will cover it in extreme cases. Such as having gastric bypass and having alot of skin that is causing issues.
lptazbear66
on 3/26/11 10:44 am - Murfreesboro, TN
Excellent, I also have Tricare prime so good to know they cover the panni surgery.  Will they also cover the full lower lift?  I have not checked into any of the post op weight loss surgeries but I am thinking tummy tuck and boob lift of some kind will be Def

RNY at Vanderbilt Nashville, TN July 26, 2010 with Dr Clements. All loss is post op        
hkailey
on 3/28/11 6:24 am
Tricare approved your tummi tuck after WLS?  Are you seen at a military facility or civilian.  I am having my WLS done at a military hospital and was told I could be plastic surgery but it would cost that time due to have WLS at no cost...
thirdact
on 3/26/11 7:39 am
I am just over 3 1/2 years out.  I reached my goal weight about 1 year out and had my tummy tuck eight months after I reached goal as I wanted to stablize before I had it.  Here's what I'll tell you:  it is FABULOUS!!  I paid for it myself and I am thrilled to hear there are some insurances that pay for it.  Almost two years after I got it, I still find my hand wandering across my stomach, glorying in the smooth flatness of it.  What a blessing, what a miracle.  It is not necessary.  I was really happy beforehand with the weight loss.  But, it is such a wonderful thing.  You are right to look forward to it.  But you have so many wonderful things to look forward to in the magical first year ahead of you.  For now, I would really set my sights on mastering good behaviors.  My appetite came back quite strong at about three years out (the first two years were a breeze).  Discipline and good habits have been critical to managing the return of an appetite.  And, the desire to keep this beautiful, flat stomach is also a motivation in watching my food consumption so that's an added benefit.  Enjoy!  You are on a journey of a lifetime now! 
1Haute Diva
on 3/26/11 9:32 am - Fort Stewart, GA
RNY on 03/20/12
 I have tricare prime also and I know if exercise doesn't get rid of my excess skin I will definitely be getting a tummy tuck and an arm lift if they'll pay for that too!
- Shaw

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 482 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 405 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 394 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 341 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 165 views