Your best Low Carb/High Protein Omelette Recipe

CoastalBigDog
on 3/26/11 7:42 am - WA
A local restaurant is considering naming a menu item after me so please tell me what your prime ingredients or recipe would be.

It will be called the Mayor Bruce recommended High Protein Omelette!

Any help will be appreciated!

Whacka Doodle
on 3/26/11 8:48 am
Psssst ....

Any three-egg cheese omelet of vegetables sauteed in butter would do the trick!

Usually I go for poached eggs smothered in hollandaise, with lox and spinach or asparagus.  BUT ... when I go the omelette route, I have the following:

1 tablespoon butter
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 chopped onions
1/2 C chopped red peppers
1 C chopped fresh spinach
4 whole large eggs
1/4 C water
pinch each salt and cayenne
1/2 C shredded cheddar

In a medium non-stick frying pan, melt butter; add mushrooms, onions, peppers, and spinach.  Saute until the fluid from the mushrooms has evaporated, and onions re translucent.

In a small bowl, lightly whisk eggs, water, salt, and cayenne.  Pour over hot vegetables in pan, and cover.  Reduce heat and continue cooking until eggs are lightly set.  Add cheddar, replace cover, and turn off heat.  Let sit on stove for 3-4 minutes.

Remove lid, and gently roll/flip omelette onto dish.

The stats:

566 calories
40 grams protein
39 grams fat
13 grams carbohydrates
    whi*****ludes 4 grams fiber, so
    NET carabs are 9 grams

In reality, I substitute cream for the water -- but it increases the calories substantially, which tends to look bad -- Alas, I don't seem to have a problem with high-fat eating, so it works for me.

Your mileage may vary -- Good luck!

Interested in low-carb nutrition?  Thinking of trying Atkins? Want to try high-fat and/or high-protein eating?  Whether or not you have had (or are thinking about) WLS   http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/atkins/   

Harold C.
on 3/26/11 12:58 pm - Schertz, TX
1 egg
1/2 cup eggbeaters Southwestern Style
2 oz Turkey breast
2 oz your favorite cheese
Sautee onion and Bell pepper with the turkey
Pour in the eggs fold it and enjoy

I usually will have a little sliced tomato and half a Thins toasted.  That adds about 70 more calories and 3 more grams of protein

220 Calories 28 Grams of Protein
MELMEL308
on 3/26/11 1:09 pm - PA
Hi...I am a little confused..Although this sounds extremely yummy and delicious, it sounds like a lot of food!  I know protein is very important but this seems like something i would eat now before i have surgery.
                            ~Melanie~
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a beautiful butterfly"                                       
Whacka Doodle
on 3/27/11 3:23 am
Hi MelMel --

That's about what I eat for breakfast -- Not in one gulp, mind you, but over about half an hour.

It's pretty typical for me to have a 3-4 egg breakfast.  Look at it this way, if we're consuming 1500-1800 calories a day post-op (which is typical for me), then if you divide that by three meals, you've got 500-600 calories per meal.

How does that sound?

Interested in low-carb nutrition?  Thinking of trying Atkins? Want to try high-fat and/or high-protein eating?  Whether or not you have had (or are thinking about) WLS   http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/atkins/   

MELMEL308
on 3/27/11 3:39 am - PA
It sounds DELICIOUS!! LOL  And since you broke it down the way you did, I guess it does make sense.  I haven't had surgery yet, so I think because I was told right after surgery, my goal would be to eat 800 calories a day, it just seemed like a lot.  But it makes sense because my nutritionist said that they want me to get to a point of having 1200-1500 calories a day.  I guess I just was shocked that your breakfast sounded so yummy and filling.. It makes me feel even more positive that I will be able to eat and be satisfied and that this is the right move for me :-)
                            ~Melanie~
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a beautiful butterfly"                                       
Whacka Doodle
on 3/27/11 9:40 am
Aww ... you're right, in that immediately after surgery it takes a while to work one's way up to a full meal (and even then, eaten very slowly).

It might give you a better perspective if you check in on the threads showing what post-ops really do eat.  You're welcome to join my group (link below) and see what the low-carbohydrate eaters are noshing on.  There are threads like this in almost every message board, and they can be pretty useful in terms of getting a chance to look at how post-ops really live.

For what it's worth, when sitting with post-ops at meals, I have found that people pretty much eat the same meal no matter which surgery they've had, and the CARb Accountability Roundup threads on the Atkins boards really reflect this.

Right outta the chute, of course, you'll have mostly little bits of liquid protein, but you'll gradually move up to more substantial meals.

Jane N.
on 3/26/11 1:06 pm, edited 3/26/11 1:16 pm - Round Rock, TX
My current favorite includes broccoli florets, deli turkey, queso fresco, and chopped onions. I sautee the onions and broccoli in a dab of butter and a splash of white wine and then add the chopped turkey and egg and mix the cheese in at the last minute so it melts but doesn't burn. I also splash Cholula hot sauce over the whole thing, but not everyone likes it spicy. Have it almost every morning. Of course, my portion is 1 egg, 1 floret, a tablespoon of onion, and 1 slice deli meat. YMMV.

PS: That's so cool they're going to name something on the menu after you!

Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/26/11 1:11 pm - Baltimore, MD
My all time fave is a philly cheesesteak omelet

2 eggs
deli roast beef, chopped up
onions
green peppers
1 slice provolone cheese

topped with greek yogurt with a few shakes of onion salt in it

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

MELMEL308
on 3/27/11 3:40 am - PA
This sounds delicious!!!
                            ~Melanie~
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 570 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 363 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 277 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 460 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 376 views
Recent Topics