Long term health after RNY

Amy T.
on 3/29/11 12:31 am - CA
Good morning everyone!

I have been searching the internet for information on long term health issues for people that have RNY.  Say 20-30 years out,  any major health issues that are common?   I know bypass has been around for a long time,  but I would like to know how people in their 60s and 70s that may have had the surgery 20 plus years ago are doing...

I meet with my surgeon in 2 weeks and plan to ask him this question.  This seems to be the only question I have....

Thanks everyone,  make it a great day!

Amy
I am ready to be an active participant in my life rather than a spectator...  

Vivian Prouty
on 3/29/11 12:42 am - Fort Worth, TX
 Amy.....the RNY was done differently 20 -30 yrs. ago than it is today.   Back then they had lots issues.   Today....not so much.  I have a friend who had stomach stapling which was done back then.....she is still thin but had lots of issues at times.     She lives in Minn. and I live in Texas so I can't exactly recall all the problems that she has had.   I would ask your surgeon.    If he feels RNY is best for you he will let you know.   My advice to anyone is TAKE YOUR VITAMINS !!!! that is your health with RNY and to get a yearly blood workup after your 1 yr. mark.    that is our key to health IMHO.   Good luck to you and your meeting with your surgeon.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Amy T.
on 3/29/11 12:49 am - CA
Thanks Vivian!

Appreciate the info.  When I initially met with the surgeon he recommended either the Sleeve for me or RNY.  Since my insurance doesn't cover the sleeve,  I opted for the RNY.  

I have already started on a vitamin ritual that is like post op - my NUT recommended trying out taking all those vitamins and get in a schedule so we know what to expect after surgery.

Staying overweight would bring many more health problems my way - and God only knows if I would survive another 20-30 years at my current weight!  ;-)

Thanks again for the post!  Have a great day!

Amy

poet_kelly
on 3/29/11 1:45 am - OH
I am not aware of anyone studying this.  Another issue is, the operation is done a bit differently now than it was done 20 or 30 years ago, so even if major health issues were common for those people, they might not be for us.  It is a good question for your surgeon, but there may not be any definitive answers.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Amy T.
on 3/29/11 1:58 am - CA
Thanks,  Kelly - as always, appreciate your posts!  They are very informative and I especially like the vitamin ones.  Thanks for all you do to share your knowledge with us all!

Amy

poet_kelly
on 3/29/11 1:59 am - OH
You're welcome.

I'll add that I would expect long term health benefits, not problems, after RNY, providing you manage your vitamins really well.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lovelyladi
on 3/29/11 2:13 am - CA
sigh...I seem  to be the longest out person.  I had lap rny 8 years ago.  First 5-6 years were great.  Now, not so much (and this applies to many others I know this far out...who are still alive.)

Long term problems you need to know about:

1.  Internal hernias.....I personally knew 1 person who died and 3 who almost died (myself included)  This is a long term complication not to be confused with the surgical hernias. Seems a lot more common than the 4% quoted.

2.  Intestinal problems including diverticulum, ulcers, ideopathic irritable bowel syndrome etc

3.  malabsorption problems (even among people who take all bariatric vitamins and supplements religiously)

4.  Hyperparathyroidism, anemia,  reactive hypoglycemia,

The reality is there are no real long term studies much further out than 8-10 years because the surgeries were different and only a fraction of the current numbers (and only done on very, very heavy or ill individuals). 

Personally I am not sure If I would have done it again and I weighed 340 lbs at my highest.  I think they may have said there was a possiblity of many of these problems but I probably did not want to hear about them

Pam T.
on 3/29/11 3:31 am - Saginaw, MI
 My mom had her RNY 7 years ago. My sister had her's 9 years ago. One of the psych team at my surgeon's office had her's 12  years ago. You're painting a picture of doom and gloom that is not the reality across the board and is not shown in the scientific studies published in medical journals.  Yes, all those things are risk factors we need to be aware of and keep an eye out for... but the way you put your message it implies that we're all doomed to die after 8 years. 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

AMRubel
on 3/29/11 11:21 pm
Thank heavens for your response! I was starting to think I needed to get my affairs in order really quickly! I knew of many of the risks, but to think I could be dead in 8 years is/was quite scary! I did this to extend my life, not end it! 

I know that there are many complications and the reality is that these complications could affect ME...but I am happy to hear that our fate isn't as grim as some may believe or experienced.
Adrienne    
Highest Weight - 263.2  Surgery Weight - 247.40  Current Weight - 148.5   

*Total loss includes 15.8lbs lost on surgeon required pre-op diet.   
Lady Lithia
on 3/29/11 4:22 am
In addition to what Pam said, I wanted to add a note or two

Internal hernias are much more common for ANYONE who loses significant weight, whether it is surgical or through diet and exercise or through disease. Peterson's hernia is specific to RNY due to the configuration of our guts, but in general losing a lot of weight will result in the RISK of internal hernia. I almost lost my mum to one when I was 8 years old after she'd dieted off fifty pounds, but she was saved. Had nothing to do with WLS.

Frankly, even if the risks of drastic weight loss put me in the same risk category as being super morbidly obese with a BMI of 60 (which I think is not true)..... I'd rather be in this risk-zone thinner, healthier, and with a tremendously minimized amount of pain. The daily pain of being 350 pounds was something i didn't even realize until it was alleviated.

This is not to minimize the issues you have. I suffer from very awful dumping and reactive hypoglycemia and just had surgery on my tailbone that would NOT have been the case if I'd remained happily 350 pounds.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Most Active
Recent Topics