7 weeks post op complications

ohangela
on 4/2/11 11:53 pm
I havent posted in a while. My surgery date was February 15th and I have lost over 60 lbs.I healed quickly but the problem was I had major complications from a catscan done after falling sick from pnuemonia. I ended back up in the hospital 4 times and started having problems with acute renal failure.  The radiaton from the catscan caused my tastebuds to mess up and everything tasted and still to some extent taste funny,. Still going to the kidney doctor and tastebuds are getting better. Water taste funny and i can no longer tolerate crystal light or my protein drinks. I am thirsty all the time. Any suggestions on drinks:?
cjack33
on 4/3/11 1:20 am - Hackleburg, AL
Hi My name is Cindy, I have been going through the motions of having RNY, and plan on having it sometime this year. But I am also a nurse and I was wondering if some things taste more strange than others. Like do you prefer acidic drinks, like lemonade, pineapple etc. The reason I ask is some of my cancer patients have the same complaint, that things taste weird. But over the years I have found that they tolerate the more acidic drinks instead of the more bland. Also try natural drinks, make your own lemonade, juice your own oranges,pineapple,strawberries, watermelon. It might work for you too. Oh and do not use metal utensils to prepare or stir or drink out of, they can leave a nasty metallic aftertaste. I hope this helps!!!
ohangela
on 4/3/11 5:47 am
I saw the trop 50 i did not try that pomegranate juice because it wasnt 100 % juice also the sugar is still pretty high. I tried the orange and it was horrible to me. lol my taste buds are shot.
Cookietea
on 4/3/11 1:43 am
My surgery was Feb 16 so I am right behind you.  Luckily I have not had your problems.  Sorry you are having such a hard time.  Water doesn't taste that great to me wither.  Never did anything with artificial sweetners.  What tastes pretty good to me is Trop50.  A blueberry pomegranite juice by Tropicana that only has 50 calories for 8 oz.  I pour it over ice and it is pretty tasty.  They also do an orange juice but my Dr. said no OJ.  Hope this helps.  It is the refrigerated section at the grocery store.
ohangela
on 4/3/11 5:52 am
I tried the mio the other day and I could not do it. Things with artificial sweeteners seem to make me ill and yes physically one of the reasons I ended up in the hospital was for vomiting. I just took soome meds and threw it all up. I am onb nausea meds but sometimes it doesnt work.  My doctor did have to go in and reopen my pouch originally which was one thing that was causing vomiting but now it is ok. Certain things just make me vomit and when I do I get the worse headache it takes days to get rid of it she has me on meds for that also. I think I am getting better but it is a slow process.
Lady Lithia
on 4/3/11 1:52 am
some of the things I use to get my liquids in:

crystal light
MIO (I haven't tried it yet, but you should)
hot chocolate
almond breerze unsweetened
protein shakes

Tasting funny or not, if it doesn't make you physically ill, you have to get your liquids in or you are back in the hospital adn your kidneys need you to stay hydrated.

Water with a drop of lemon or lime juice is good
Broth
popsicles
soups

Find a way to get your liquids in first and foremost, after mastering that, work on protein.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

ohangela
on 4/3/11 5:45 am
I do not tolerate lemonade flavored anything right now. I also have to be careful with fruits because they also have sugar and it can cause dumping.
Lady Lithia
on 4/3/11 5:50 am
unsweetened cranberry juice has very little sugar, and is, I've heard, VERY good for the kidneys.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

ohangela
on 4/3/11 5:53 am
You are right I used to buy it and drink it years ago. I am not sure if the tartness will be a problem I will have to ask my doctor
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views