Infected incisions??

Ladycavez
on 4/5/11 9:24 am
I'm just 5 weeks out. My incisions were looking pretty good. So I started putting cream on them to reduce scarring--now they are tender and getting red. Did I do a no-no???

Some of my incisions are perfectly healed, but my biggest one and my belly button one (which was doing really well) are looking red and inflamed.

Any advice? I'm thinking maybe neosporin tonight after my shower and a call into the dr tomorrow.

Thanks
Karen O.
on 4/5/11 9:53 am - Weirton, WV
I'm three weeks out and mine are all healed already. What kind of cream are you using? I assume it's something similar to Mederma to reduce scarring - if that's the case, you may be allergic to it, thus the reddness and tenderness. I personally cannot use Mederma or anything like it because I'm allergic - and it sounds like the exact same reaction I had when I used it.

Maybe not, but it's one possibility!

~Karen
HW - 340   SW - 320 (3/15/11)   CW - 225   GW - 150       
(deactivated member)
on 4/5/11 10:25 am - Boston, MA
 One of my incisions was red and a little "wet" I called the surgeon he said it was normal and to use neosporin and a bandage
Ladycavez
on 4/5/11 11:12 am
It's an OTC cream called Scar Zone. I've never been allergic to anything, but maybe that's what's going on. I'll try the neosporin tonight and see what happens.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
Hugs
Marsha F.
on 4/5/11 11:45 am - CA
 Simple vitamin e oil does the trick any scar. Good luck!
kriskj
on 4/5/11 2:10 pm - Canada
Honestly scarring from laparoscopic surgery is minimal anyways. What you need is clean and dry. Wash with soap and water and keep them dry. If you notice any discharge/drainage that is foul smelling i would start using a medicated ointment and again, clean and dry.
   Since Nov '10        Since Surgery
rbb825
on 4/5/11 3:44 pm - Suffern, NY
If you had Laproscopic, the scars are so tiny you shouldn't be putting anything on them - even open, you shouldn't be putting anything on without surgeons permissions.  The laproscopic scars will be impossible to find within 6 months, if not definitely a year.  There is no need to use scar cream = it only gives you a chance of rashes and infection.

When you put the cream on, where the incisions completely closed?  If not, then you did a no- no anc call the surgeon first thing in the morning but don't put anything on them until you speak to him.  I would take a shower and wash the area good and dry it carefully.

good luck.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?