2-3 meals a day?

hellokittycrazee
on 4/6/11 12:59 pm - NJ

I'm 3 weeks out...surgery was on 3/15, and I'm on mostly solid food at this stage.

My surgeon and NUT recommend 2-3 meals a day of a 1/2 cup in size, with NO snacks.  How realistic is that? I have a hard time getting my protein in with 3 meals, I can't imagine only having 2. Is anyone following that type of plan? I drink one protein shake in addition to my meals to get what I need protein-wise, but technically I guess I shouldn't be.  :-(

I'm interested in everyone's thoughts.  Thanks....:-)

Meg

lorilea
on 4/6/11 1:06 pm - MN
My plan was for three meals a day also, but not to include a shake as a meal. Early on there will be days that you dont get all of your protein in and my Doc didn't even expect me to due to how little we eat during this time, but make sure everything is moving to toward the goal of getting your protein in. 

I drink my protein shake on my drive to work, typically have a yogurt (Activia Light) for breakfast; something safe (tuna, cottage cheese, cheese, jerky, etc.) for lunch and some type of cooked meat, fish or seafood for dinner.  Somewhere in there I also try to incorporate a fruit and a veggie.

seattledeb
on 4/6/11 1:14 pm
No..I couldn't make it on 2-3 meals a day. Couldn't early out and I couldn't now. I understand what doctors are doing by saying this-they want us to eat enough and stay full and learn not to graze. It just didn't work for me. I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day.
The main thing for you so early out is meeting your fluid and protein requirements.
Deb T.

Lady Lithia
on 4/6/11 1:26 pm
I have Reactive Hypoglycemia.... if I did that I could, quite literally, die.

Today (and remember, I'm in maintenance)

I had 1/2 cup of lasagna (WLS friendly)
1 had a minute muffin
1 had a serving of quiche
I had two snack bars
I had three protein shakes
I had a half cup of berries and fage yoghurt
I had an 8 oz coconu****er

Need another snack/meal soon, and might even have one further snack before I go to sleep.

My rough calcculation is that this is approximately 1500 calories.. Bit calorie heavy day..... booooored being at home

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Nell R.
on 4/6/11 1:37 pm - Hewitt, TX
I'm almost 9 months out and my NP still has me on 2 meals a day and only the 3rd one if I'm truly hungry...I do get hungry so I have 3 meals a day. I average about 500-650 calories a day with 3 meals.

Ladytazz
on 4/6/11 1:56 pm
I'm sorry, I know that all programs are different but this sounds all kinds of ways wrong.  650 calories is just not enough.  I was told 800 to 1000 at about 6 months.  I'm not terrible big on the starvation mode theory but I can see how your body would get used to eating such a small amount of food and start gaining at, say, 800 or 900 calories.  Are you tired?  I just can't see how you could have any kind of energy on such a low calorie diet.

For the OP, I didn't eat 1/2 cup of food until 6 months out.  I was eating, or having a protein drink, 5 times a day.  I just recently cut back to 4 times a day only because I am low on protein and my order won't be in until Friday.  I want to keep my metabolism burning and I heard that to do that you have to feed it pretty regularly.  Last thing I want is for my body to get used to living on 500 or 600 calories a day and when I try to add more start gaining.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

ShrinkingJoe
on 4/6/11 10:13 pm
Everyone is different.  In support of Nell, my own experience is this: I am a 45 year old, 6'2" male.  On the day of surgery I was 404 lbs.  Now six months later I weigh 247, for a total loss of 157 lbs.  At this point, I consume 1 to 2 meals per day plus a couple of snacks (as time allows) which clock in at 400 to 700 calories.  I am very busy now get a lot of physical activity in.  I just moved my business and spent two weeks lifting an carrying.  I work 12 to 14 hours per day.  I even walk to work when I can.  I have tons of energy.  I have more energy now and I feel better now than I have in 20 years.

All my labs are normal.  All my health stats have come into the normal range, including blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesteral.  My risk for all the obesity related diseases is dropping like a rock as I approach a normal weight.

To maintain my goal weight of 175, I will need to consume more than 400 calories per day, obviously, but right now things are going great.  So it is possible to consume only 2 to 3 meals per day and do just fine.

hellokittycrazee
on 4/6/11 1:42 pm - NJ

I'm so glad to read what you both have written.  I'm trying so hard to do this "right"...whatever that is!!

Today I had:

1 scrambled egg white w a sprinkle of light mozzerella

2 oz bonless chicken thighs and 2 bites of grilled zucchini

1/2 pure protein bar roughly 15g protein

10 oz protein shake made with milk which was 32g protein

The only reason I had the protein bar was because I was out of the house today longer than I planned, and I hadn't eaten in many hours.  I was getting that shaky feeling.  :-(

hellokittycrazee
on 4/6/11 1:45 pm - NJ

WOW Nell how do you do it?  I think about going back to work at the hectic pace my job is for 12-16 hour shifts on 2 meals and I cannot imagine it!!
allvalerie
on 4/6/11 1:51 pm - Seward, AK
I eat 3 times a day with no snacks but I also have a protein drink every evening. It works for me but doesn't work for everyone.

Valerie