Grapes & Diet Soda

BritsAQT89
on 4/7/11 12:50 am
Really want some grapes and maybe a soda!! I wasnt ever a big soda drinker but once in a while I would have one. I usually drank sweet tea and mocha frappe's!! My NUT warned be about drinking my calories before surgery since that's where most of my calories came from!!  
And I am huge on fruits!! I used to snack on grapes ALL THE TIME!!! And other fruits too! So I just curious about grapes and other fruits!!

Can we have grapes?
What fruits do you eat?

And why exactly are we not supposed to drink soda/diet soda? ...especially when its 0 calories and 0 sugar!!!?????

pullenlb
on 4/7/11 12:58 am
My plan says that at 2 weeks I can have soft fruits...grapes are listed there. You may want to check with your dr, though??? As far as soda, my dr said that if I had to have one I could after 6 weeks, but I am not sure I want to get in that habit again. I am one week out today....Let me know how the grapes work for you!!!
Lori  
RNY ~ 3/31/11

nancybugg
on 4/7/11 1:01 am - Riverview, FL
I wasn't given the OK to eat grapes until I was 3 months out - but all nuts are different.  I would check your food list.  At one month out I was allowed to have peaches, pears and canned pineapple - really soft fruits basically.   

Soda is another thing - some people drink it some people don't.  I hear that it causes really bad gas at the beginning.  I've only had one sip since surgery.  I thought it tasted horrible!!!!  That was so weird for me since I used to drink tons of soda before surgery.  I'm glad I don't like it though - I believe the sweeteners cause me to crave sweets - I avoid aspertame in everything. 

Cravings are tough though!  Best to you!
Start Weight:  282; Current Weight:  192; Goal Weight 150
Elizabeth Z.
on 4/7/11 1:08 am - Corning, NY
I was told not to eat grapes for quite some time because of the skin on it. If you peel the skin off, I'm sure it will be fine. Same with soda... I wouldn't even attempt soda until I was 6 months post-op. Too much damage can be cause as early as you are. I'm quite far out now and I drink a diet soda when I'm at restaurants or on special occassions only because there is a lot of junk in a soda...diet or not and being that the pouch is only so big, I prefer to limit the junk in my body. That's why I had to have surgery is because of the junk I ate. I however love the flavored carbonated waters. Key lime tastes just like a Sprite to me and there isn't a whole lot of stuff in it. As for fruits... I eat them all! :)

http://bariatrickitchen.wordpress.com/

stacey1000
on 4/7/11 5:28 am - Hillsboro, IL

the skin on the grape would not irritate most people i wouldn't think.

BritsAQT89
on 4/7/11 1:15 am
Thanks ladies for your input!!!

I think I may just buy a bunch of fruit and a try a new one each day!! Fruits are the one thing I HAVE to have in the house!!

As for soda, I guess I'll keep on waiting!! I pretty much lived without them my whole life except when I was out eating or at restaurants that didnt have sweet tea. Im sure another few months won't hurt!!

...Thanks again!

Laura A.
on 4/7/11 1:37 am - Manteca, CA
I'm sorry....but you are not even 1 month out from surgery!!!

The things you should be eating right now should be high protein foods....how much protein is in fruit or soda???  At this point in your journey, if it doesn't have a significant amount of protein in it....don't eat or drink it!!!

I do not mean to flame you, but please don't sabotage yourself....  We care about you here and want nothing but for you to be successful.

Laura A.         5'3"  BW299/CW135

BritsAQT89
on 4/7/11 2:22 am
Well, I have been put back on a regular/normal diet and in a complete day, every single thing I consume is protien from breakfast to dinner with the exception of water!! And being that I work with kids, fruits are big part of the meal plan at the center!! And since its a requirement that I sit with them at snack and I cannot drink my protein drink and I cannot eat anything that is not on the menu around the kids I kinda don't have a choice in the matter!!  Also, when I am at home, since the only thing I eat is meat and eggs and drink protein drinks (sometimes blended with fruit), I'm thinking I can cut out a protein drink or two between meals and replace it with a fruit!!

Laura A.
on 4/7/11 2:33 am - Manteca, CA
Like I said....I did not mean my comments as a flame.  Just advice from a 5 year veteran....

Laura A.         5'3"  BW299/CW135

siberiancat
on 4/7/11 1:45 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I would think NO and NO.  Your pouch and suture  lines are still healing.  You certainly don't want carbonation in your pouch and grape skin is difficult to digest.

I would put fruit in the blender in protein shakes and get the fruit in that way.  You are still really early out.  I was still on full liquids at  your stage and then puree for a full month after that.

I also agree that what you need is protein and fluid.  Don't waste valuable pouch space with those foods.

My programs does not allow carbonated beverages for LIFE after bariatric surgery.  There is a correlation to regain of weight and drinking carbonated beverages.  What is in a soda that is nutrition???  Fruit will come later in its whole form and there are fruits easier to digest than grapes - but fruit should only come after protein and if you aren't getting 60-80 gm of protein in a day - then just focus on protein and fluids only.

We need to be changing the way we think about food.  We control it - it doesn't control us.  Just because you were HUGE on fruit as a morbidly obese person, doesn't mean you need to remain HUGE on fruit.  Choose fruit lower on glycemic index and it needs to be eaten in moderation because it does contain natural sugar.  Eat veggies before fruit.

Keep asking questions.  That's how you learn.  Best wishes.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
Recent Topics