Post-op liquid diet non-sweet foods?

Christine428
on 4/11/11 9:40 pm
 Is there anything out there besides soup?  This is day 2 of the full liquid diet (after 48 hr clear liquids) for me and already I'm getting tired of soups.  I can find SF popsicles, puddings, jellos no problem but finding non-sweet liquids in almost impossible lol.  They said I could have LF cream soups (strained) but there wasn't much else on the list. I'm getting tired of eating sweet stuff all the time, never thought I'd hear myself say that lol.  Anyone have any other ideas? What did you have? 

cgnnala
on 4/11/11 10:31 pm
That week was very hard for me as well, wanting things but yet not ready for them. I did try cottage cheese, refried beans, and mashed potatoes during this phase and for me they did quite well. To me it was more limiting than week 1. Here are the suggestions I found:
  • Water
  • Fruit juices, including nectars and juices with pulp
  • cream, custard, and pudding
  • Plain ice cream, frozen yogurt, and sherbet.
  • Fruit ices and popsicles
  • Sugar, honey, and syrups
  • Soup broth (bouillon, consommé, and strained cream soups -- but NO solids)
  • Gelatin (Jell-O)
  • Boost, Ensure, Resource, Sustacal. and other liquid supplements
  • Tea or coffee with cream or milk and sugar or honey

Ask your doctor if you can include these foods in your full liquid diet:

• Cooked, refined cereals, such as Cream of Wheat, cream of rice, oatmeal, grits, or farina
  • Strained meats, like the ones in baby food
  • Potatoes pureed in soup

Referral date: December 9, 2010                   First appointment: January 17, 2011
Approved for surgery: February 23, 2011     Surgery date: March 14, 2011

Onederland: May 9, 2011  
                             Diabetes-GONE, HBP-GONE (no meds since 3/13)
robynlynnm
on 4/11/11 10:40 pm - Westminster, MD
I totally agree with you!  I had my surgery 4/5.  I was so excited to go from clear to full and now that I am on full I can't wait for the next stage (puree).  I will admit though that yesterday I took the back of a spoon and ran it a few times across some refried beans and it was ok. Tasted great to have the salty taste in my mouth (and spicy).  I already know what I am going to each next Monday :-).  That is going to include refried beans w/ some cheese melted and maybe some greek yogurt added to it.  Tuna w/ mayo & egg salad.  It is also Passover so I might include some traditional jewish foods like gefilta fish (sp), matzoh ball soup minus the matzoh balls, and chopped liver.  Ok, I will stop cause I am making myself hungry.  Well don't feel alone cause I am right there with ya.
kathip123
on 4/12/11 12:46 am
I hear ya on the non-sweet options.  My surgeon allowed me to have cream of rice or cream of wheat cereal.  I also ate a lot (relatively speaking) of Greek yogurt.  Good luck and hang in there, it won't be long before your stages progress. 

Christine428
on 4/13/11 12:14 am
Thanks for the ideas.  I found out I can have LF cottage cheese,cream of wheat, oatmeal (thinned out) and yogurt (again a sweet item) but at least these things don't 'feel' like liquids as much.  I'll be so glad when the pureed stage gets here lol.  Every stage feels like I have more choices.