The down side of doing well

hellokittycrazee
on 4/12/11 12:35 pm - NJ

I had my surgery on 3/15.  I had a rough beginning, but now I don't feel like I ever had surgery at all.  Which is GREAT.....I'm NOT in any way complaining about that. I almost feel guilty for not having issues!  My problem is that I'm just mentally struggling with the desire for food.  At this point in my plan I'm trying new foods, and everything I try goes down well and sits happily in my pouch.  In a way, that's hard.  I have no fear of nausea or any other ill effects, which would make me cautious toward food. I'm afraid that the lack of problems will tempt me to try things that aren't the best things for me. 

Ultimately I know that the decision is mine, and it's my responsibility to make good choices.  I knew I would face that eventually, but I didn't expect to be problem free and have an appetite this early out.  I thought that this kind of hard would come later.  I need to find a food counselor soon dont I?

:-)    Meg

Dee2011
on 4/12/11 12:44 pm - PA
I have the same feelings.  I am less than a week out.  I have been doing the clear liquidsand added a protein shake and have had no problems accepting anything that I've tried yet.  I know I am presently having head games/hunger. I see the commercials on TV or a program where they are eating and think gee wouldn't it be great to have some.  I looked at the food ads for the week tonight and found that there was a lot stuff on sale that sounded yummy.  Hope this stops soon.
AliSarah
on 4/12/11 12:49 pm
This is where all the differences in dr's plans really kick in. I was on clear liquids for 2 weeks, then full liquids for another 2 weeks... So, at your stage in the game, I had not tried anything but protein shakes...

I will say that other than the dumping, most of the things that don't go down smoothly I didn't know about until I was about 3 months out. Your body heals in stages so some stuff that seems like it is going down fine might give you a little trouble later.

Just make sure to always measure what you are eating so you don't accidentally over fill your pouch before your nerves have recovered enough to give you some signs of that... :D

Huggles!!
~Sarah~
 HW 316/ SW 264/ CW 187/ GW 158  
hellokittycrazee
on 4/12/11 1:00 pm - NJ

Dee believe me I've been there!  Commercials and the Food Network no longer bother me.  Now it's the grocery store I hate....it seems like aisles and aisles of stuff I can't eat. I get really frustrated in there lol.

Sarah it's so surprising how the plans are so different.  I saw my doc yesterday, it was just under a month since surgery.  I lost 26 pounds and my labs are good.  I'm measuring my food, but I feel like I could eat that 1/4 to 1/2 cup ten times a day.  I also feel like I could eat things that I probably shouldn't ever have even way post-op.  Arghhh!
Lady Lithia
on 4/12/11 1:01 pm
Aside from the whole dumping thing, and the lactose intolerance thing, and not tolerating water.... I had VERY few problems early out and felt kind of guilty too. Like I didn't deserve such an easy time of it. I often wondered if they REALLY did the surgery

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Ladytazz
on 4/12/11 1:11 pm
I used to wonder that, too but in the first few months I would get sick and have the foamies and I welcomed it because then I was sure they did something to me.
I was so sure I wouldn't dump because after that period I was able to tolerate everything I ate.  I found out I do dump when I accidently ingested something with sugar in it.  Also, I avoid refined,  processed foods so I don't know if I would tolerate those things or not.
I'm not complaining either.  I feel exactly like I did before surgery execpt I don't need to eat so much and I am much easily satisfied with smaller amounts.  That is good enough for me.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

hellokittycrazee
on 4/12/11 1:14 pm - NJ

Lady Lithia I think my surgeon is running an insurance scam poking holes in people and charging for a RNY lol.  I'm sure that the day I have a problem I'll regret ever opening my big mouth about my lack of them. 
Lady Lithia
on 4/12/11 1:15 pm
yeah, mine too.... cept I saw my upper GI and boy do I have a teeny tiny tummy!

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

MISSYGIRL01
on 4/13/11 12:36 am
Hellokitty and Lady Lithia,
I had my surgery on March 29th.  I have often think to myself.....did I really have surgery.  I was on clear fluids for 9 days.  Then released to food.  I haven't had any problems at all.  I don't get that full feeling.  For the most part, I don't feel hungry.  I had head hunger when I cook for my son and husband.  I said to my husband yesterday, I feel like I'm going to fail because I don't feel any different.  It's very hard for me not to graze or eat off my sons plate.  I guess what's keeping me in control is that I'm losing weight.
AMRubel
on 4/12/11 1:16 pm
I am 8 weeks out and my surgeon's post-op diet plan is quite advanced. Day 2 in the hospital we were required to start liquids. Three days after being at home we started full liquids, week 2 we started pureed and weeks 4-6 we were allowed to advance our diet to a regular diet. I am eight weeks out and I too feel like I never had surgery. I feel amazing and pretty much everything agrees with my pouch! 

Sometimes things are going so well that I feel like maybe I screwed something up or maybe the doctor forgot to complete a portion of my surgery (I have the notes, I know that isn't the case)..I too get feelings of guilt that things are going so well... I have had food get stuck a few times and constipation (okay, that sucks big time)...but other than that, I can't complain.

I struggle with making good food choices everyday. I am a picky eater and prior to WLS, I would eat a lot of processed foods and a lot of fast food (I have two children - 2 & 3 years old and work full time). I am BORED out of my gourd eating yogurt, cheese, protein..protein...protein and all I really want is a BIG bowl of pasta (not whole wheat), chicken fingers or a donut (see my post from a couple of days ago). For the record - I still haven't given into my donut craving. 

I read posts on here and see people make amazing life changes, and I give them so much credit for not going back to their old lifestyle. I am trying so hard to do better with my "2nd chance"...but as they say - they operate on your stomach...not your brain. I am still that old person and have just been given a tool to use to my advantage to lose weight and give me my life back. I know the choices I need to make...but unfortunately I am human and am not ALWAYS going to make those excellent choices...but I need to remind myself that moderation is key and once in a while it is okay to indulge...just as long as every meal doesn't become a celebration of food...like it used to be prior to WLS.

Okay, I am just rambling...but thanks for posting this...It is nice to see that someone else is struggling with doing great...

P.S.  Although my recover has been great...I feel it is important to mention that I did have a complication DURING surgery (my heart stopped for 8-10 seconds due to the pressure of the gas they use to inflate the stomach cavity to access it with the surgical tools. Thankfully after immediately removing the gas, doing chest compressions and giving me some medicine, my heart started again and they were authorized by the Anesthetist to proceed with the surgery...
Adrienne    
Highest Weight - 263.2  Surgery Weight - 247.40  Current Weight - 148.5   

*Total loss includes 15.8lbs lost on surgeon required pre-op diet.   
Most Active
Recent Topics