I am sick and going to the drs today. What meds (antibiotics) work best for us?

Mal
on 4/12/11 8:01 pm

I am really sick (probably a sinus infection and possibly strep) and have a drs appt today.  I was wondering what antibiotics (and OTC meds) work best for you after having RNY?  This is the first time I've been sick since surgery (in a year) and I'm clueless.  I have nasal congestion/pain, coughing, and a really, really swollen sore throught.  Any input would be greatly appreciated!

obxlady
on 4/12/11 8:32 pm
Mal, I'm so glad  you asked this question.  I'm going to sit back and hope to get my questions answered right along with yours.  I, too, have been suffering with a horrible sinus infection, ear infection, the works and have been put on 3 rounds of Z-Pak and it hasn't totally cleared it up.  I've been referred to an ENT next week and I'm curious about what else I can possible take.  Anyway, hopefully someone that's been out a while will answer your post.  Hope you get some good meds @ the Dr. today and feel better soon.

Cindy
I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I don't believe that antibiotics are chosen based on whether a patient is an RNY patient or not. They are chosen based on the type of infection they are needed to fight. I know that Cipro is often prescribed for sinus infections but not necessarily for strep. You get the drift.

It could be that you don't have anything that a anti-biotic will be prescribed for. . . many of your symptoms are symptoms I experience each spring and each fall. . . yep, allergies. 

Either way, good luck to you.
seattledeb
on 4/12/11 9:17 pm
I would think the Levoquinn would not be a good antibiotic..it's a once a day pill and I think is time released.
Remember no NSAIDS for sinus pain.
Also I remember in one support group they recommended slashing capsules..like with an exacto knife before swallowing to increase absorption.
Deb T>

MultiMom
on 4/12/11 9:39 pm - NH
Personally I am having a difficult time with medications (pain meds in particular). After RNY we do not absorb medications the same way a "normal" person does.

As for the antibiotics, I had to take 3 rounds to get rid of a simple urinary tract infect that I didn't even have symptoms of. It was found in pre op testing.

If you purchase any liquid OTC products, go with the diabetic or sugar free type if possible.

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Whacka Doodle
on 4/12/11 11:13 pm
Medications (of all kinds) are prescribed based on the problem.  If you have a viral infection, there will be no point in prescribing antibiotics at all.  If the doctor determines that you have a bacterial infection, s/he may prescribe an antibiotics, but it will depend on the type of infection s/he finds.

Your surgical type will have no bearing on the antibiotic prescribed (if any).

Hope this helps!

Lisa

Interested in low-carb nutrition?  Thinking of trying Atkins? Want to try high-fat and/or high-protein eating?  Whether or not you have had (or are thinking about) WLS   http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/atkins/   

Cherylkas
on 4/12/11 11:24 pm - PA
 I am sick as well...my lovely kiddos share so nicely with mom I tell ya. My surgeon called me in a Z-pack to take. Hopefully it works cause  I feel horrible. 

HOpe your doc can give ya something that works. Feel better soon!
 Come visit me on my bloghttp://apeekintomytreehouse.com/ 

Start weight 282, Surgery weight 265, Current weight 131, Goal weight 140 

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.  Eleanor Roosevelt

lee12197
on 4/12/11 11:56 pm
RNY on 02/28/11 with
the only request i make when i go to the dr is they dont give me huge horse pills...My doc just put me  on cipro and gave me the oral suspension...yuck yuck and double yuck i think i would rather swallow horse pills!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 470 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 429 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 361 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 445 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 361 views