Sad Revelation

berrixblonde
on 4/13/11 11:00 am - NY
 Went to the ER this AM via surgeons orders because I had a moderate amount of blood after a bowel movement(couldn't see thru the water anymore). At the hospital, i explained i have not drank much at all, haven't eaten etc. They did not bother to start an IV. The surgeon told me they would preform a colonoscopy once i got there. HOWEVER the ER staff admitted to not knowing much about Gastric Bypass patients and said since my color, and vitals were good i would not need one. They did a rectal exam and felt 1 hemrrhoid that they couldn't tell me if it was popped or not. They couldnt tell me anything. No diagnosis They basically asked why i didnt go back to the hospital where i had the surgery(BECAUSE MY SURGEON TOLD ME TO COME HERE). Whatever. They told me to go see my surgeon in the AM....worthless visit. now im behind on proteins and fluid and vitamins. I suppose its normal to bleed to the point of needing to put on a panti liner(TMI SRY) out of ur butt these days!!!! Especially when your 1 month out from intestinal re-routing.

END RANT. THANK YOU FOR READING
mcclellandjulia
on 4/13/11 11:14 am - Pineland, TX
I don't think it is nornal to bleed that much from anywhere.I also think I would have read that ER staff the riot act and the 3rd,4th,and 5th degrees. I think this since I will be 4 weeks post-op on Friday.

Lady Lithia
on 4/13/11 11:22 am
Did you call and communicate this with your surgeon?

Even if he doesn't expect you, I'd be on his doorstep in the morning when they open up.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

severman
on 4/13/11 11:29 am - Indianapolis, IN
 I am so sorry you had to experience that!  I've been treated similiarly by my local ER.  Please follow up with your surgeon.  He might still want to do a colonoscopy to make sure that the hemorrhoid is the actual cause of your bleeding.  Wishing you the best of luck!

Stephanie E
berrixblonde
on 4/13/11 12:05 pm - NY
 I have to call the surgeons office when they open in the morning. It sucks not being taken seriuosly by doctors. One of the nurses suggested that when blood hits water it looks a lot more than what it is. As if its my first day on the planet!!! Why would i over-exaggerate something like that?? because i WANT a scope in my butt at only 21 yrs of age? lol ugh. thanks for reading guyss
Stacy4442
on 4/13/11 12:45 pm
I am so sorry that you have to go through this.  It the blood was bright red (which I assume it was based on what you wrote) that is NOT normal and the ER staff should have taken more action.  You had recently had surgery on you GI tract and they let you go?  I would be making some phone calls to the administration if I were you.  Rectal bleeding is just not normal and the behavior of the staff at that ER was not acceptable.  Your surgeon better be doing something about this.  In the meantime, how far are you from a bigger hospital or the one where you had surgery?  Can you go there?  This is not something to ignore, as that ER staff did.  UG!  I am in medicine and I would nver treat a patient that way!

berrixblonde
on 4/13/11 12:52 pm - NY
 Stacy dont scare me lol nobody was educated on the ins and outs of bypass and they completely admitted that. I'm going to the doctor first thing in the morning