sugar and carboholic

horkeler1
on 4/16/11 4:33 pm - Windsor, CO
boy im 7 months out and have lost 60lbs,im trying not to go back into old patterns.but realize now im a addict.sometimes I get so lost on what to cook especially when you have a family and good for you food is sooo expecive.im trying to stay away from sugar,carbs,there my enemy.i dont know i'll figure it out.
Ladytazz
on 4/16/11 5:18 pm
I have accepted that I am addicted to refined carbs. My inability to control my intake of refined carbs once I started on them is a big reason why my first WLS didn't work out. I decided with my revision I was going to use this opportunity to do things right. I realized that with my first surgery I thought I could eat refined carbs in moderation. I really thought that WLS had cured me of my addiction. I guess that is what I wanted to believe, that WLS would change my feelings around food and would somehow fix me.
Some of the things I accepted is that I cannot eat things with sugar and wheat in moderation. Those are mainly my trigger foods, things with sugar and/or wheat flour in them. Throw in some fat and it was a perfect mess. I decided it was easier not to eat them at all then to try and waste my energy on trying to eat moderately. I came to realize that for over 30 years I had managed to diet down to a normal weight many times but when it came down to long term maintenance I would convince myself that now I was normal and could eat like normal people and normal people could have a piece of cake or some candy without gaining 100 lbs practically overnight.
I also have problems with other addictive behaviors such as drugs, alcohol and gambling. I have been clean and sober for over 30 years and it has been over 8 years since I have gambled and the way I have done those things was by accepting that I could no longer safely practice those addictions. I am an all or nothing sort of person and it is better to do nothing in cases of addiction.
I am happy to say that I have not had any refined carbs since my surgery last July. I also realized that I was addicted to large quanities. I didn't just want a cookie, I wanted all the cookies. Having WLS has helped me with the quanity part since it is physically difficult for me to overeat. I also feel that the surgery has helped me in that I haven't felt real hunger since my surgery and when I don't feel that kind of hunger it is easier to stick with a healthy eating plan.
You are still pretty newly post op. It is never too late to make the changes that you feel you need to do to be successful with this. Don't give up. Get help if you need it. You can still use your tool in order to eat in a way that will nourish your body without abusing food any more.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

keepitoff91
on 4/16/11 10:22 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exi7O1li_wA

I love this lecture!  It is broken up into several parts, so you don't have to watch it all at once, but I highly recommend this if you are a sugar addict.  I learned sooo much!
Lorrainecma
on 4/16/11 10:59 pm
The problem for me with simply carbs is that once I've eaten them, (in the past) my brain starts sending signals that I am still hungry and want more.

I think what is really going on is that your blood sugar spikes, and your body naturally trys to bring it back down by eating except instead of eating foods that bring the level back down, we go and have more sugar.

Once you go a week or two without the simple carbs, the cravings should go away.

Believe me I know how expensive it is to cook for your family also, but you just have to bargain shop. It is not worth what you would save to ruin everything that you have worked so hard for.
Michelle E.
on 4/17/11 1:07 am
Dont get down on yourself.. Understand your brain and body especially want carbs because its easy to break down plus there is a sort of high that comes with lots of sugar and carbs. I dump if I eat too much sugar and throw up so...not sure if its psychological or what..

We are all food addicts. I would prefer to eat fresh baked breads in my mind but I tried it once and aI swear I almost died. It turned into a ball in my stomach. Not easy to get up and out.

I cook for my family as well. I end up cooking one thing for my hubby and other stuff for my son. I try to keep to 2 shakes a day, greek yogurt, cottage cheese,eggs, lentil soup. I use the lots of food sold at Walmart when I can otherwise I end up at local Henry's. Honestly, I used to eat out so much I must have spent over 100 a week.

You at least acknowledge this issue.. now.. you must figure out what works for you.

Michelle
Laura in Texas
on 4/17/11 1:47 am
I'm right there with you on the carb-addict thing.  I've found other substitutes for bread, like Mission low carb tortillas.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

horkeler1
on 4/17/11 5:29 am - Windsor, CO
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views