Family function what to eat....pureed foods?

Christine428
on 4/16/11 9:09 am, edited 4/16/11 9:09 am
 I have to go to a family gathering next weekend (Easter).  I'll still be on pureed foods at that point.  I'm not sure what to do - hope that I can find something to eat there or bring something of my own? (I feel funny doing this but I will if I have to.)  Or not eat anything and just drink a protein shake/water/tea? Not sure how long we'll be there a couple hours at least. 

What did you do when you're so early out? 

poet_kelly
on 4/16/11 9:18 am - OH
Do you know what they will be serving?  I'd ask ahead of time so you know if you should bring something or not.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Christine428
on 4/16/11 9:21 am, edited 4/16/11 9:26 am
It's a potluck sort of thing. So all kinds of stuff and I'm guessing she won't know exactly what they're having since everybody's bringing whatever.

ETA: Oh and btw I have to make something for this thing too. Something I won't be able to eat either lol.

poet_kelly
on 4/16/11 9:26 am - OH
Then I would take sugar free pudding or something to share, that you can eat too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

melissa22886
on 4/16/11 9:22 am
i have a 1st birthday party to go to tomorrow and im still on full liquids. everything there will be somethign i CANNOT have excep****er lol. i suggest maybe bringing something yourself like refried beans with low fat cheddar cheese heated/melted. you can put it in a ziploc container and just heat it up there. maybe with some mild salsa on top of it if you like that. that's one of my meal suggestions on my puree stage. i don't know if yours is any different
Christine428
on 4/16/11 9:28 am
 I thinking I may end up doing this.  Yep refried beans and LF cheese are on pureed list.  Not sure about the salsa - I was told to stay away from tomato based stuff for awhile because of the acidity. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/16/11 9:39 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Eat before you go; once you get there, just tell folks you're not hungry (because you won't be!), and keep some diet Snapple in your hand all the time. Talk to folks; they love to talk about themselves. You'll probably be getting lots of people urging you to eat (that's the way my family is) but just say "no thanks, I'm not hungry" Repeat as necessary.

Other than that, have fun!
terilynn112
on 4/16/11 9:59 am - maryland, NY
Easter is also going to be my first "holiday" eating with family. It's the first time Most of them will be around me to eat. My mom and dad have seen me pick at food since the RNY, but my siblings. NOPE! I get to help do the cooking, cleaning, and serving but don't get to eat it. But that's ok. I'll watch all those happy faces, and remember that was me... and Now I'm smiling because I can fit my butt into a size 16 which I haven't done in more than 20 yrs. I weigh less than I have in 23 yrs. I love my RNY! And I'm only 3 months post op.

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

katheek
on 4/16/11 10:45 am - Cosmopolis, WA
I got invited to a ladies night out/birthday party at my friends out when I was still on puree foods.I took my own food.  I pureed chicken and brought some mashed pototoes.  The other gals had some sort of pasta dish and salads.  I looked at what they were eating and silently said to myself, "I'm thankful that I am not eating what they are eating because that stuff is way to fattening".  Honestly I felt a bit uncomfortable because the other guests were acting differently towards me...like they almost had a guilty feeling eating in front of me.

KATHEE K

Cherylkas
on 4/16/11 11:17 am - PA
 Easter wil be my first big family gathering as well since RNY. I usually always have it but my oldest sister is instead since I am so new out. We talked about what I can eat and I told her not to worry about me as I will bring my own things to eat. and drink. Its easier for me and for her that way. 

I plan to take some refried beans and a cheese stick or two. We will spend all day there. I can also always raid her fridge if need be. 
 Come visit me on my bloghttp://apeekintomytreehouse.com/ 

Start weight 282, Surgery weight 265, Current weight 131, Goal weight 140 

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.  Eleanor Roosevelt