nervous....

dkwilliams1
on 4/16/11 3:32 pm - AK
hello all...  my surgery date is April 28... and I am getting scared, I think... or maybe just nervous ??? I'm NOT going to chicken out, because I need this very bad... I'm just thinking I guess about things I won't be able to eat anymore... like Chocolate, or Hazelnut coffee with cream, or ??? I guess I should find some cook book I can use New Stevia with ??? I had a dream I ate a candy bar after my surgery and wound up in the emergency room. Of course I KNOW I can't and wouldn't eat a candy bar after surgery- it's just wierd how my anxiety is coming out in my dreams. Anyone else get antsy before their surgery??? if so, what did you do ????

Lady Lithia
on 4/16/11 3:53 pm
You know..... I remember the first first first time I even seriously contemplated WLS.... I got morose over the foods I'd have to quit

One of the strangest things to me was when someone on here was posting that refried beans with cheese was one of their "mushy" foods.... and I love refried beans, and that was enough for me to go, "huh? Wait, what?" and the more I looked into what the postops were eating, the more I realized that while there seemed some limitations that made me feel that same moroseness, there were a lot of food optionsT still available

that got me through the toughest part. I still worried. I hoped like hell I would NOT dump, because I did NOT want to live my life without sweets (sweet addict, what can I say).....

Funny thing is that the things I just plain canNOT have are none of the things I expected.... like cooked fish... I haven't heard of many with that sensitiivty, but there ya have it, I can't have tuna, nad I loved it pre-op..... but I can do raw fish, and I love that too, so I'm not too sad. I also didn't realize I was giving up milk (lactose intolerance) but not cheese or yoghurt, so that is okay too. Plain water too.... just can't tolerate it.

However..... my food lief is really not so bad. I dump like crazy, but I can still have the isolated cookie or sliver of cake, dark chocolate is pumped full of antioxidants and a tiny piece doesn't have much sugar.

It's a tough thing because everyone reacts different, and the unknown is hard to fathom, particularly if you (unlike me) are a foodie. But the foodies who have had WLS are legion and there are food blogs that have all the WLS friendly stuff you could desire. (I see all that prep work and my eyes roll in the back of my head)

I worried about my favorite simple meal..... Steak and potatoes wiht chocolate cake dessert which was my planned but never realized last meal..... had a cold and had no appetite so I skipped it, and mourned it for a few months postop. Then it became obvious that steak is the one meat I tolerate more than any other! In addition, while I know I should avoid it, I still have potatoes from time to time.....a treat rather than a staple, but I do have one from time to time (baby potatoe)

The big deal, to me, is to follow the rules for the first six months to a year, follow them as close as possible, and get to goal, or to where you think is your body's goal..... but eventually you will learn how to live YOUR life on YOUR plan, customized to your own strengths and weaknesses. I am good with moderation, in a way, and allow myself some things. Once I hit maintenance, I explored a lot of foods, weighing daily to keep myself on track. I felt that if my food explorations derailed my weight loss, made me gain, I would monitor more closely. Funny thing is that I've lost 40 lbs SINCE I went into "maintenance" mode. (and regained 4)

You will LIVE your life,and food will be a part of it, and YOU have control on how boring (like me) you make your food, or how elaborate (like Nik) you make it. It's like a few months of true deprivation, followed by a long slow climb back to a sensible eating plan for life. YOU will find your own balance point.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

keepitoff91
on 4/16/11 10:43 pm
I know how you feel.  My surgery is Wednesday.  I was shopping for Easter basket stuff yesterday and was really freaking out.  How can I trust myself not to pop a jelly bean or a reeces peanut butter egg?  I eat sugar without any stream of consciousness.  No guilt or thought behind it.  Just pop it in my mouth.  I have been working on that for about a month now, and some times sugar is sooo compelling, but so far I have resisted.  Hopefully I can continue.  Reading and educating myself about sugar has helped.
dkwilliams1
on 4/17/11 6:55 am - AK
thanks for your reply !!!

jodijsimba
on 4/16/11 11:20 pm - NJ
LL,
I have only been "on here" a few weeks, but I have to say, your responses always make so much sense to me - they are healthy and centered and for me that is what i need to live one day at a time.  this last response about following things to a T for the first year and then experimenting to find YOUR OWN PLAN where food is a PART, speaks volumes.  Just wanted to give you a shout out - I read or scan posts when I have time and sometimes I post or reply, but not as often as I'd like.
Sooooooo
Thanks from Jodi in NJ.
RNY 4/6
total lost 30.5
Lady Lithia
on 4/17/11 2:17 am
Thank you I try to help where I can.

dkwilliams1
on 4/17/11 6:52 am - AK
LL, you are a godsend....  we all should be grateful to have you on this on-line blog thingy... speaking for myself, I AM totally thankful for you !!!!

Lady Lithia
on 4/17/11 7:06 am
Awww you're sweet. I do my best to be helpful. Just remember I'm usually not a fixture round here.... so if you ever need anything or my insight, you can always PM me, beccause even though I'm not around so much, I do check in and read PMs before anything else.

Next week I'm goign to give a shot at full-time. We'll see how it goes.

Most Active
Recent Topics