Thyroid Medication

allvalerie
on 4/18/11 10:49 am - Seward, AK
For those of you on thyroid medication- when do you take yours and when do you then take your vitamins?

I hate taking it in the morning as it makes me nauseous until I get to eat and then it says to wait to take vitamins so I was just wondering what everyone else does.

Can I take it at night before bed with my Iron?

Thanks everyone
Valerie
Nell R.
on 4/18/11 10:55 am - Hewitt, TX
My PCP told me to always take it by itself so that's what I've done all these years I've been on it, I take it about 6:00 in the morning and then I start my vitamins around 9:30, although if I wake up to go to the bathroom around 3 or 4 I go ahead and take it then.

Kari F.
on 4/18/11 11:25 am
i have always taken mine with my morning meds. My levels are perfect. I would take alone though if you are not sure if you can take with other meds. I know for sure it's not good to take with calcium or proton pump inhibitors (stomach acid meds). And I don't take it with mine. It's best to call your MD or pharmacist to see. Good Luch :)

Day_dream_believer
on 4/18/11 11:25 am

No, it says on my medication bottle to not take it with iron or calcium.  Can you take it 30 minutes after breakfast.  Then start your vitamins 4 hours later.?

Carebearny1999
on 4/18/11 11:31 am - Rochester, NY
Supposed to be taken on an empty stomach. I take my multi (does not have iron or calcium in it) and other morning meds with it first thing and then eat breakfast 30-45 minutes later. Should be an hour later but I can't wait that long most mornings...
Sharyn S.
on 4/18/11 12:06 pm - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
Minerals, such as iron and calcium, interfer with levothyroxine, aka Snthroid.  It should also be taken on an empty stomach.

DO NOT take it at night, as it increases metabolism, and may cause insomnia.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

angieh299
on 4/18/11 12:21 pm
I take mine in the morning when I first wake up usually at 6am. I have to take my Tylenol then too because I am in so much pain after sleeping and missing my doses so I hope my thyroid is doing okay. (I have fibromyalgia too)

I also take another tablet that I have to take when I first wake up and have done so for years now and have normal levels with my blood tests. But I have heard not to take vitamins with them, Nsaids, and any other prescription medications and always take on an empty stomach. 

LilnAK
on 4/18/11 12:36 pm
Hey there fellow Alaskan! I've taken synthroid for years (two different doses: .112 5 days a week and .125 the other 2 days). I've experimented with different times and have found that taking it at night works best for me. This forces me to stop eating at night and I feel I have more energy in the morning. Plus I can have OJ in the morning if I want since it can interfere with synthroid. I usually take my vitamins in the morning. I haven't had surgery yet but I expect my schedule won't change. Definitely do not take it with your iron. Hope you figure out what works best with you. Good luck!
Lil
siberiancat
on 4/19/11 2:28 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
Here is my schedule:
Middle of night – Thyroid Meds - when I get up to pee
Wake up – calcium Citrate & magnesium oxide (Dose 1) & am Rx
7am - Breakfast hot protein drink
2 hours after last dose calcium – Calcium citrate & magnesium oxide(Dose 2)
2 hours after last Calcium, I take Multi Vitamin & iron
12 noon - lunch - protein, veggie, fresh fruit
2 hours after Multi & iron – 3rd dose of calcium citrate & magnesium oxide
3pm - snack - protein shake or almonds or 1/2 protein bar, yogurt
3pm - other supplements - Vit A, DHEA, VIT D3, etc. plus Dose 4 of Calcium Citrate & magnesium oxide
5pm - supper - Fage greek yogurt/protein powder/ apple
7pm - night Rx, multi, B complex, hair/nail supplement, zinc, folic acid
7pm - snack - depends if need something - protein + fruit or veggie
9pm – go to bed

B12 injection once a month, B1 every Monday
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Joya
on 5/12/11 8:02 am
Hi Valerie,
It's Lilo... I am on Synthroid too.  I take it first thing in the morning.. then wait an hour till I have anything with calories in it.    Don't take it with iron!  Iron affects synthroid.  I was on fertility treatments and meds for 2 years and was told to take synthroid in the morning and prenatal vitamin with iron at night b/c of that.
Hopefully with time it will not make you feel nauseious anymore. : (
I think you IMed me a few minutes ago... I'm new here.. do they have IMs?  Sorry... had a phone call... my husband can't find my son's baseball hat and they are at a game... not good.
LOL
Joya
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 440 views
Recent Topics