Four Years Later--- Your Mileage Will Likely Vary (with end result pics!)

Jupiter6
on 4/18/11 3:23 am, edited 4/18/11 3:51 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
No sugar coatin' here-- most RNYers do not maintain their weight loss long-term. I wi**** were not the case, but it is. But in the event you really want to be in the select ridiculous few who *can*, let me share what worked for me.

1) I lost 70 pounds pre-op by diet and exercise to minimize surgical risks

2) I tracked literally everything I ate on fitday for 3.5 years

3) I fastidiously balanced everything-- 40% protein/30 carbs, 30 fat

4) I ate no pasta, very little white flour

5) I exercised quite a bit (at this point it's 4 hrs of cardio and much walking per week but I started walking to my mailbox-- 20 yards)

6) I let myself have free eating holidays when I ate whatever I wanted in copious amounts

7) I don't drink with meals

8) I learned to drink coffee by the crapload (I hate cold beverages)

9) I don't believe my stomach understands satiety and I eat just what I plan

10) I sometimes "bank" calories for a special occasion or when I am emotional, or start eating late in the day if I am afraid I might overeat

11) I buy some bariatric foods to make life interesting

12) I cook in advance in batches and freeze meals.

13) I eat peanut butter every single day

14) I started at a dangerously low intake (650 a day the first 6 months?) and now maintain at 1700 calories a day

15) I paid $33k (that I didn't have either) to get the skin off-- the debt is a good motivator and it makes exercise a LOT easier

16) I found out what worked for me and didn't listen much to the naysayers.

17) I still eat ridiculous amounts at buffets, I just don't go that often

18) I specifically eat bulky foods (big salads) so I feel sated on less calories

19) I eat right up until I go to bed-- it really doesn't hurt me in any way

20) I allow myself a huge weight range because I have edema and often gain of lose 3-4 pounds overnight, especially after overeating sugars (about a 10 pound range)

21) I didn't give a crap aboput "goal wight" or "normal weight"-- I did what felt right for me

22) I chose an EXCELLENT body plastics guy whose aesthetics matched my own

23) I pay dearly for exercise that I like and that is effective ($30-40 of Zumba every week!)

24) I had my resting metabolic weight tested and use a calorimeter (GoWear Body Media) to
make sure I spend between 2200-3200 calories every day

25) I try to stay in motion-- cooking, cleaning-- it all helps

Anyway, no secrets, it's a hell of a lot of work. I am still an addict and still fight the monkeys off my back hourly. Many days it is not worth it, (especially when as a result of the RNY I am sick or having surgery) and others I enjoy the physical freedom. I don't get the rush many get out of my appearance-- I liked my fatter body-- but presume in the long run this will give me longevity and hope I might not otherwise have had.

Anyway, that's my update! About 150 pounds, within 3 pounds of my lowest, 4 years after I started losing. Down 218 pounds.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

2tired2befat
on 4/18/11 3:41 am - Spring Hill, TN
Congratulations on all that you have acheived (despite the obvious difficulties you've endured).  Also, all the advice is appreciated.

However, I'm still stuck on this statement "No sugar coatin' here-- most RNYers do not maintain their weight loss long-term".  Why have you found this to be true?  Because they give up trying?  I'm very curious as to your opinion on re-gain and why it happens? 

Thanks,
April

Jupiter6
on 4/18/11 3:47 am, edited 4/18/11 3:54 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
My belief is that at first, you have this tiny lil' pouch and stop when you are full, but it expands and stretches. With the ability to eat more, I think most people simply do-- and I think it's because they don't fully understand that it can happen. Eating intutively just doesn't work for most of us, especially for food addicted people. If the pouch stayed small, I think anyone could maintain....but once expanded, it's diet and exercise, just like it is for everyone else. I am not sure people are properly prepared for that-- your early RNY is like your training wheels-- a time to develop better habits-- and eventually, you're doing the heavy pedalling more or less alone.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

2tired2befat
on 4/18/11 3:55 am - Spring Hill, TN
That is what I had a feeling you were going to say as I've been coming to the realization that this is a long term change for me.  If only I could have gotten my head in the game before going through this.  I'm thankful for this surgery everyday, but I'm disappointed in myself that I just couldn't get the formula right before I went down this road.  I am a freak in the gym now (zumba being my staple) and I love it.  I only hope that I will remember how good it feels to be me now when a plate full of cheese fries are staring me down.  Thanks for sharing.  I am confident I will be one of the few! :)

Best Regards,
April

shirleyfhoffman
on 4/18/11 3:42 am - CA
You look AMAZING! Congratulations!! I have surgery on my 3rd. It helps SO much to know that looking as good as you is possible! Thank you SO much for sharing!!! If it's not too much to ask, would you mind sending me a list or menu of the things you ate early on?

HW:340 SW: 292 CW:164 GW: 140-130

Jupiter6
on 4/18/11 3:49 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
In the first six months I largely ate greek yogurt, chicken, tuna, chili , eggs, cheese and Unjury protein shakes. Come to think of it, those are still my dietary staples.

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

Lady Lithia
on 4/18/11 7:39 am
If you click her "latest posts"

<--- Over there

I'm sure she still have about a bazillion awesome recipes!

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

syarbroG-5
on 4/18/11 3:44 am
All I can say is WOW! WOW! WOW!
Jupiter6
on 4/18/11 3:50 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
It's a lot to process, to be sure--- I saw the 6 pack last week and freaked out! ;)

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

KittenLove
on 4/18/11 4:00 am - Around Knoxville, TN
And my very favorite part of this was....

the no sugar coatin'! A to the men, sister!

You've always laid it out the way it really is and this time is no different.

Congratulations!

Be happy. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 453 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 410 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 352 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics