baby ir surgery. please help

Amykins512
on 5/9/11 11:49 pm - PA
so i started the process of being approved for surgery. I'am turning 28 and have been married for 2 years in October. i'm starting to get the baby itch and I don't know if  i should try now to have children or have my surgery first. I'm leaning more towrds surgery because after all, i need to get healthy for my future family. Did this happen to anyone else
ChasingButterflies
on 5/9/11 11:54 pm - FL
If you want a good person to follow on Youtube concerning pregnancy after WLS, follow FaithP.  She did well and had a healthy baby.  I had my children before WLS, so I don't really have any advice either way.  I do know that my doctor asks that you don't become pregnant until 18 months out.   
~Brooke~
We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.  ~Maya Angelou    
Pre-Surgery Weight: 315  RNY 2-28-2011
lee12197
on 5/10/11 1:37 am
RNY on 02/28/11 with
i would have the surgery first and then have children. i was also told 18 months. One of my reasons for having this surgery is i want a child so bad its not even funny. My husband and i have been trying for about 4 years, nothing has worked, my drs all blamed it on me being overweight. From what i know its likely for overweight women to have trouble conceving(not saying that EVERY  overweight woman have issues just that a lot do) and at 28 i dont know if i would spend the time trying to concieve before having the surgery if i were you!
beatrice00
on 5/10/11 3:09 am - NY
RNY on 04/10/12 with
I had surgery when my daughter was two and my son was 10 months. I really, really struggled with the decision because I was a single mother and was really afraid of dying and leaving my children orphans. I wish I had the surgery first and then the kids, so that's what I would advise you to do. Get the surgey asap and then work on building your family.

1Haute Diva
on 5/10/11 3:38 am - Fort Stewart, GA
RNY on 03/20/12
 While I had no problems getting pregnant or having kids a lot of doctors tend to say that if a heavy woman can't get pregnant it's usually because of the weight. That being said, if you have the itch just make sure you  realize that after surgery most docs want you to wait anywhere from 12-18 months before starting to try getting pregnant.

My weight didn't pile on until after I had my 3rd baby.. and here I am now.  I've had friends the had WLS have kids and honestly they haven't put on much weight.  So I vote for surgery first :)
- Shaw

eliana
on 5/10/11 3:50 am
 Surgery first. Chances are you will have an easier time conceiving and have a lower risk pregnancy if you are a normal weight when you get pregnant. Also remember that your life changes a lot after having children and you will not be able to pick them up and hold them, put them in the crib etc while you are recovering from surgery. 

15 lbs lost prior to surgery. 260 HW/ 245 SW/ 160 Current/ 130 Goal!        
unewillow
on 5/10/11 6:12 am - CT
My sister is 35 y/o and has been trying to get pregnant for the past year without success. She knows that her weight is a major contributor. She recently had to make the decision whether to start the approval process for WLS or persue further infertility treatments. She knew that she could have the surgery and wait the year afterwards to try and get pregnant and hopefully have an easier time as well as a healthier pregnancy. Or, she could put off surgery and start clomid in the hopes of getting pregnant again with no guarantees that it will work and then have to take care of a baby/run after a toddler as a post-op surgical patient.

She finally realized that as much as she wants a baby NOW, she wants to be healthy and be able to have a healthy pregnancy more. She's started the prep-work for Stanford's WLS program a few weeks ago.

righthandkitten
on 5/10/11 7:44 am
I was told by my obgyn that it would be healthier for me (even at 37 yrs old) to have the RNY first,.. lose the weight, and then get pregnant 18 months later that it would be to try to get pregnant while I was obese.

I also wanted to be healthy for my future family and provide a positive example of healthy eating/activity. This bought me time to create those habits to model later on :)

Start Wt: 244
Wt on 4/14/2010: 204
Wt on surgery day 5/3/2010: 190
Todays weight : 130    
Most Active
Recent Topics