OT - Having second mammogram this week.... nervous.

Amy T.
on 5/11/11 4:12 pm - CA
I had my first Mammogram on Sunday - mother's day at 0830!  So much for sleeping in.  I didn't even realize the day when I made the appt!  Happy mother's day to me!

Monday morning I got a call that the radiologist needed more pictures of my left breast.  Tomorrow morning is my second mammogram this week.   Im a little worried - but know that sometimes when doing a baseline they request more pics.....

I noticed that I had some bruising from the first mammogram,  is this normal? 

Amy
I am ready to be an active participant in my life rather than a spectator...  

lynnc99
on 5/11/11 8:42 pm
Amy,
Yes, some bruising can result from being "squished" for your mammogram.
My doctor asks that I stay after the inital set of pictures is taken to see if they need to do anything more. I once did have to return, and ended up having a biopsy done. I was a nervous wreck but it was just a little fatty tumor and have had no problems in years since.
Try to relax and ask them not to squeeze those bruises too hard!
purr
on 5/11/11 9:16 pm
My first Mammogram they found 2 fatty tumors . They did a biopsy on one the other one we watch carefully. Don't panic cause your first one the breast tissue might be dense and they didn't get a great picture the first time.

laura_vermont
on 5/11/11 11:14 pm, edited 5/11/11 11:15 pm
One year, I had 2 call-backs for repeat pictures. I ended up sore (3 mamograms in 2 days -ouch) but it was nothing.

Hope everything is clear!
Laura

ETA - I hope my smaller girls make it easier in the future.... I've been putting it off since that fun experience.
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Day_dream_believer
on 5/12/11 1:25 am
Most of the time they need a second look because something wasn't clear.  I had to come in a few years ago because there was a suspicious spot.  I had a second mammogram and ultrasound.  It ended up being a blood vessel that was in a strange position. I went in every 6 months for a while just to make sure everything was fine.  I almost always bruise.  But I would rather bruise than them not see everything. 

I know it is hard not to worry, but try not to.
Amy T.
on 5/12/11 9:12 am - CA
 Thanks everyone for your kind words and comments.  Had my second mammogram today.  They wanted a magnification, cause I have calcifications.  Waiting on the radiologist to call now,  they may recomment a biopsy because 20% of all calcifications are cancerous.  Good news is they are miniscule, so he may just recommend coming in a few months down the road for another mammogram to monitor them.

My mother has calcifications, and has had biopsies in the past, and also gets a mammogram every 6 months so they can monitor them.  

Like mother, like daughter I guess!  ;-)

Thanks again for all the support!   xoxo
Amy
I am ready to be an active participant in my life rather than a spectator...