loss of appetite after 11 years

deb.s
on 5/11/11 4:01 pm - Park Ridge, IL
I don't quite know what's going on.  For the past few months, I have lost my appetite for just about everything, even my favorites.  I've been living on protein drinks and an occasional ricotta cheese and banana.  I've been looking for a bariatric doc to see if something is going on inside.  Needless to say, I've lost 24 lbs.,  I feel like I did 11 yrs. ago, when I first had my surgery.  Any ideas or can anyone else relate?
Thanks,
Deb

janet2921
on 5/11/11 6:07 pm - Chicago, IL
Interesting situation.  The Chicagoland area has many bariatric MDs, but I would recommend the University of Chicago and Northwestern University as they have comprehensive GI/bariatric centers.

Janet
"Respect the pouch & embrace the scale."

cent100

deb.s
on 5/11/11 7:28 pm - Park Ridge, IL
Hi!
My gastro doctor is out of Northwestern.  When I tried to make an appointment, they said that because it's been 3 years since I've seen him, I considered a new patient again.  There's nothing available until after July.  I'm in the process of trying to find someone new.  The only problem is that I've had 9 previous abdominal surgeries and am worried about seeing another new doctor.  I'm hoping someone can recommend a gastro dr in my area.
Thanks!

needtoloseweight
on 5/11/11 9:48 pm - Oxon Hill, MD
You are one of the few people I've seen who are 10 or more years out from surgery. Do you mind answering a question or two?  If you don't I understand. I was wondering did your 9 surgeries have anything to do with complications from the wls? And, prior to losing your appetite what was your eating like? How are your vitamin levels holding up?  Do you find that you still have a good quality of life now that it's been over 10 years?  A girlfriend of mine is considering getting surgery and her question to me was where was all the supporting data for people over 10 years out.  I started researching also and there is definately a shortage of information.  I hope you get some resolution as to what is going on with your appetite and that it is good news. Take care

deb.s
on 5/11/11 10:15 pm - Park Ridge, IL
To begin with my first 3 surgeries were vertical c-sections prior to my gastric bypass.  I had 2 procedures on my kidney due to multiple stones also prior to surgery.  After my bypass, which went extremely well, I had laparoscopic gallbladder surgery.  The next day I had to have exploratory surgery due to internal bleeding, the liver was cut from the gallbladder surgery.  A few years later, I had a procedure for sphincter of oddi. At that time the put a tube through your stomach around to where the sphincter is to make an opening.  After 2 weeks the tube was removed and they went through the opening and cut the sphincter.  Each time I was put under.  The last surgery was a bowel obstruction.  Had surgery and was fine after.  After all of this, I would have this surgery again in a heartbeat.  Most people go through and never have a problem.  As far as my vitamins, I have iron infusions about every 6 months, but I've always had problems with my iron.  My vitamin D was really low, but I just upped my dosage.  I had initially lost 130 lbs. and kept it off for 5 years with no problem, until I went through a severe depression and was put on meds that caused weight gain.  That was difficult but had to do it.  Prior to going through this period of not having an appetite, I ate with no problems.  Let me say this again, I would have this surgery again.  I'm much more informed now due to website like OB.  Back then there wasn't much info.
If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Deb

Momma2nicknmike
on 5/11/11 10:22 pm - Beavercreek, OH
 Thanks for the info Deb!  It's great hearing from someone who is so far out.  I hope you get your lack of appetite diagnosed quickly.

Lynne    

cajungirl
on 5/12/11 12:24 am
Deb I'm going through a similiar situation.   Mine is stress related but the desire to eat when not hungry isn't fun.  I have had to get myself on a schedule to eat when it's time to eat.

I'm down 14 lbs in 3 months.  I do feel like someone just out of surgery with the quantity I can eat at one meal.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Most Active
Recent Topics