Can't keep food down....

dlphn810
on 5/11/11 10:22 am - Plainsboro, NJ
Hi everyone! So frustrated today. Yesterday for bkfst I stupidly ate left over lomein that I think went bad. Ok, so I learned my lesson for eating something I shouldn't have. Anyway - wound up throwing up right after then the rest of the day I couldn't hold down any other food either. Then I would dry heave several times. Today I ate fine - only protein (meats), dinner I had 4oz of moist chicken and 15 minutes later started dry heaving again. It seems I am barely making the 4oz of dense protein lately when I had no issues eating my allowed 8oz per meal. Not sure what's going on. The last few days I've been having a hard time getting in my fluids too but I'm close to it. Any suggestions or opinions? I'm 7 months out. Thanks!!

Brenda.

Lady Lithia
on 5/11/11 10:41 am
You could have a stomach flu.

Or you could be developing a stricture.

Try some flat diet ginger ale..... see if that settles the tummy

If you can't get your liquids in, let your surgeon know.... you might need to be hydrated and have an EGD to see what is going on.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

cabin111
on 5/11/11 11:38 am
Stomach flu or stricture.  Most strictures occur at about 3 week post RNY...But as per my surgeon, they can occur at anytime.  What about blockage in the intestine?
Stacy4442
on 5/11/11 11:55 am
If you are able, try only liquids for a day and ease back into eating.  If you were in a hospital and throwing up, they would put on clears or on nothing. 

I am almost four months out and I always throw up on chicken.  

Feel better!

Buterfly_12928
on 5/11/11 12:18 pm
I was having a hard time keeping food down too, but it was like three hours after eating and I would get sick (throw Up). So i did liquids the next day and did ok and then went back to food the following day and got sick again. So after day four of getting sick I called my doctors office. I got checked out for a stricture and ulcer but had neither. They told me I need to look at what i was eating and if it made me sick to leave it alone for a week or so then try it again. Throughout this whole process I've learned Milk triggers me getting sick. I too had a hard time with getting fluids in, but found i did best with hot liquids like broth and it really soothed my stomach.
nfgfaniam
on 5/11/11 12:35 pm - Jeffersonville, IN
Brenda,
I hope you feel better soon. What you describe sounds like what happend to me one time when I got food poisoning. But, call the Dr. and get checked out. Let us know how it goes.
~Sharon Marie

Melissa T.
on 5/11/11 1:23 pm - Fort Leonard Wood, MO
Do you still have your gallbladder? I was experiencing the same thing you have described. I could eat one thing one day and then the next day I'd try and eat the same thing and would be sick in the bathroom the rest of the day. It took about 2-3 weeks, a trip to 2 different ERs, and an ultrasound of my gallbladder for them to finally see that I was having gallbladder attacks. On top of that my opening was also to constricted it was just making the bad that much worse. I wouldn't wish the pains of gallbladder problems on anybody. I hope you feel better!!!
Most Active