Does this get easier????

Kimanne01
on 5/11/11 12:52 pm
I am pretty sure I already know the answer, but I feel like I am MORE controlled by food now than i EVER was. I feel like my whole life revolves around what I put in my mouth.  And its driving me crazy.  Every second of my day is now planned out to make sure I get in enough protein, liquids, and my vitamins.  If I sleep late I get upset because I lost out on a good hour of liquid drinking.  I wont take a nap because god forbid I could be drinking more water.  And now that I can start eating more foods my thoughts are consumed with "is this going to make me sick?"  I feel hunger (at least an empty feeling), but am not hungry and theres absolutely no satisfaction in eating right now.  So I dont even want to eat and yet I have to.  Either way, everything is about eating and drinking and its exhausting.  :( Sorry for the rant.

nfgfaniam
on 5/11/11 12:55 pm - Jeffersonville, IN
Congrats on your loss so far Try keeping a food journal and plan your meals a week in advance. Get some little tubs, and prepare your daily meals in advance so you can grab and go. I drink water all of the time and don't pay attention to the amount. I know if I fill my jug up atleast 3 times a day I'm getting all my water in.
Girl, take a nap if you want to.. we need our beauty rest
~Sharon Marie

flyingwoman
on 5/11/11 1:21 pm
It gets better. And it likely won't be long before it does.

Getting satisfaction from eating becomes much less important over time. For me, I realized I had a heightened need for that, and it was part of my problem. You are learning, and you are focused, and it is natural to be consumed with this process for quite a while after surgery... it is huge! If you up and moved to a new country and had to learn new languages and customs and how the roads and transit worked it would feel unnatural and overwhelming. Same kind of thing. Eventually your mind will settle into it, you'll know what makes you sick and what doesn't, how much you can have and what to avoid. It will quickly become second nature.

Take a deep breath and be compassionate with yourself...it won't take long.
doty_guy
on 5/11/11 1:27 pm
 Oh it gets so much better. I remember not being able to get in enough water and protien at the begining. Now I really don't have any trouble getting in my 80-100 grams of protien and 80-100 ozs of water a day. Although I don't take to many naps any more. I'm just not as tired as I was a few months ago. You are really gonna like whats coming up in the next few months.

Enjoy,
Guy

HW-352                        SW-326                        GW-160                       CW-221
1MO- 298                     4MO-243                       7MO-                          10MO-  
2MO- 280                     5MO-224                       8MO-                           11MO-
3MO- 257                     6MO-221                       9MO-                              1YR- 
MORBID           SEVERE           OBESE           OVERWEIGHT           NORMAL                       
nancy409
on 5/11/11 8:44 pm - PA
Kimanne - my surgery was the same day as yours and I totally understand.  I count my water all day, watch my protein count, make sure to get my protein drinks and vitamins in.  It is getting easier each day.  Ihave been using the nutrition tracking on OH's website and that helps.   I also went to the store and bought really small rubbermaid containers that hold about a half cup of food.  After dinner I put my small portions of food into each container and that becomes my lunch for the next day.  In the morning it is grab and go. 

Price S.
on 5/11/11 9:36 pm - Mills River, NC
You are right.  In the beginning, it is a JOB to get everything in.  It does get better.  However, you will need to use the skills learned in this new JOB to carry you forward for the rest of your life.  You need to learn how to keep your fluid levels up, how to get your protein in, what to carry with you all the time in case you need to eat whicle you are out.  Those skills will make you successful in the long run of this journey.  If you don't learn them now and make full use of them, old habits which made us fat in the first place, will sneak back in. 
I no longer fear something will make me sick.  I can get 20 oz of water in pretty quickly if I haven't had any in a while (as long as it is room temp or cool, not iced).  But I still have to remember to keep protein with me, keep a water bottle with me, have foods on hand at home or in the office which are WLS friendly. 
It does get better.  I promise.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

purr
on 5/11/11 9:57 pm
I am feeling the same way , like food has taken over my life and I am its slave. I am having a tough time getting the protien but am doing ok with liquids thanks to cups of warm tea which I seem to tolerate better than any other form of water.

chrisgraves
on 5/11/11 10:09 pm - MA
Yeah it does seem that way in the beginning.  But it does get easier. 

It's a lot of trial and error as you go along. The time between those sucky bits will get less and then eventually every things seem to become routine.   

At a little over six months I've become more comfortable with my ablity to make choices that work well.   Although I still have to set my watch alarm to make sure I get in all my vits (Calcium specifically) each day.

Good luck! 

5'6.5"  HW: 310 / SW:279.6  /GW:150               
(deactivated member)
on 5/11/11 11:14 pm - Boston, MA
 I'm the same way.. not to mention the constant vitamins I have to take while at work drives me nuts.. but I'm sure soon enough it will be second nature and we won't even think about it!!
mabell1026
on 5/12/11 12:52 am - CT
I feel the same exact way you do.  I am 7 weeks out and down 40 lbs but feel so overwhelmed with drinking and eating the proper proteins.  I just found out I had an ulcer, after 3 days in the hospital for dehydration) so I'm starting over now on the soft food phase. I too hope it gets better.  Stay strong!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics