9 weeks later and still confused

berrixblonde
on 5/15/11 3:56 am - NY
 RNY was 9 weeks ago. I'm loosing 2/2.5 pounds per week. My calories are around 600-800. I get in 60 grams of protein each day and 60 oz of liquids along with my vitamins. That part i understand. What i don't understand is carbohydrates. The only white carb i've eaten is mashed potatoes and they make me sleepy and slow afterwards so i know to stay away. But i LOVE vegetables and those are carbs..but "good" carbs? also, i purchased carb control wheat wraps with 18 grams of carbs and 7 net carbs...i would MAYBE be able to eat half of one with some turkey, lettuce, tomato etc...should i try it now or just keep staying away from all carbs minus vegetables and fruit and the occasional veggie pattie... im so scared of doing something wrong and not loosing weight. my dietician tells me this is not an exact science and as long as i follow the rules and choose healthy foods and the weight comes off im good to go..but i still find it easier to just not eat than find things to put in my mouth...

ahhh thanks in advance...Nicole
Carla M.
on 5/15/11 4:03 am
RNY on 02/21/11 with
Every surgeon is different. As is every nutritionist. My surgeon told me to stay away from all carbs, except veggies and few fruits, until I reach my goal. The fat in your body will transfer into energy, so I didn't need them. I don't know. I do know that I have stayed away from most carbs and am doing okay. So I guess it's just up to you.
poet_kelly
on 5/15/11 4:07 am - OH
What I've done is limit the starchy carbs, and when I eat something starchy, like an occasionally tortilla, go for whole wheat.  It's worked for me, I'm below goal.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

psx chelly
on 5/15/11 4:11 am

It doesnt sound like your doing anything wrong if thats what your Dr. and Nutritionist told you to eat...

Im sure the veterans will chime in, as I am *not one.  My surgery was only in Jan.  Anyhow, some people tend to avoid the bad carbs because they develop a sensitivity to them after surgery.  Bread and white surgery refined things just arent good for you surgery or not.

I completly avoid carbs as you do, but only because I have PCOS, and i was on carb restrictions before my surgery.  I do however eat lots of Bok Choy, Broccoli and Spinach which do have carbs, but are a low carb dieters dream.

I am not sure about the "wraps" I am sure a more seasoned RNY verteran will address that, but I was told by my Dr to avoid all bread or bread like products (ie wraps, which are sticky and gooey when chewed) for the first 8-12 months.

But as I said, your plan is perscribed to you by your Dr. and your nutritionist.. so if they say you can eat them, then try it out. 

mabell1026
on 5/15/11 4:35 am - CT
Hi Nicole,

I had my RNY surgery 1 one after you and I have lost about 40 lbs.  I am having a hard time eating anything and I'm surprised that you can eat 50-60 grams per day of protein.  I know I'm doing something wrong, I'm not sure what.  I can't eat chicken at all.  Chicken is not my friend.  I'm able to eat Chili which I make with very lean ground beef.  Eggs are okay. Do you have any suggestions??

My doc told me no carbs at all until I reach goal weight.  I miss them very much.

Good Luck!!!

Michelle

nfgfaniam
on 5/15/11 4:45 am - Jeffersonville, IN
Every doctor is different Michelle, but NO carbs? You cannot function without some carbs. You eat veggies??
~Sharon Marie

Tessie W.
on 5/15/11 5:06 am
My surgery was one week before yours.  My plan does allow carbs (even rice and pasta) but I had abit of rice and found it tought to digest,  The pasta I have eaten in the barilla whole grain stuff that has the protein, etc. in it.  It seemed to go okay.  I am not a huge fan of pasta and rice so it's no big deal.

My surgeon wants me to average 2 pds per week.  Not sure what your starting weight is, but I know that can make a big difference on the loss side of things in pounds.  At almost 10 weeks I am down 40 pds since surgery and 67 overall.  My calories go anywhere from 800-1100 and I am permitted up to 3/4 cup of food.  The big no-no's on my plan are raw vegetables and some cooked veggies like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, celery.  If I eat fruit is is to be without the skin and I am currently to avoid things with seeds like raspberries, strawberries, etc.   

I am also to avoid high fat, high sugar foods.  I have no idea if I dum*****t because I have not had more than a bite of something sweet. 

Breads, etc. I choose whole grains/complex carbs.  I am a big fan of bagel thins.  I did eat some wheat bread not toasted yesterday when i was at a luncheon (like 1/2 a slice maybe) and I had no trouble with it.

Looks like you are doing great!  Me too!  I feel so blessed to not have had the major complications, etc.   When I have had trouble I can almost always say I either ate too fast or did not chew like I should.  For me that has been the biggest challenge.

I can take normal drinks, can drink from a straw and have an occassional diet soda that I leave sit for a bit before drinking.

Good luck!  We are doing awesome!!!!!

aanmarie
on 5/15/11 6:08 am - NY
Hello
Sounds like you are doing well.I get confused with this also.I read the paperwork from Dr.Brathwaite and it does encourage good carbs such as cooked vegetables,slice of whole grain bread and fruit.I have a really hard time with any type of meat still.It somes up alot.I hope this helps.Are you goig to the support group?Im going to try for the next Thursday since its during the day and my son will be in school.