Buying clothing (preop)

Tristabelle
on 5/16/11 2:35 am
With garage sales season here I was just wondering about clothing shopping preop.  I'm a planner and a shopper  so I was wondering did any of you buy a variety of clothing sizes before your surgery? How quickly did you change sizes post op?  Was there a size range you stayed in longer then other ones? 

Tonya0531
on 5/16/11 2:38 am - Lake, MS
I started out right about where you are now.  I didn't expect to have my surgery as soon as I did and went shopping for clothes in the size I was wearing a month or so before surgery.  I can't wear the pants now.  I've only lost 33 lbs and my sizes are already smaller.  Just gotta suffer thru some of these stages I guess.  I think I may just hit Dirt Cheap or places like that until I'm finished losing.  There's no way to know what sizes you will need.
Tonya
HW: 274  PreOp Diet: 271  Surgery: APRIL 25, 2011   
LilySlim - (6Jve)
I love my new life!!!
Tristabelle
on 5/16/11 2:42 am
Thanks for the response.  BTW 33 lbs sounds amazing to me! Great job!
Tonya0531
on 5/16/11 2:46 am - Lake, MS
I'm really excited.  Just wear the baggie clothes for a while and let people compliment you on the weight loss.  Sure does make you feel good!
Tonya
HW: 274  PreOp Diet: 271  Surgery: APRIL 25, 2011   
LilySlim - (6Jve)
I love my new life!!!
lee12197
on 5/16/11 2:46 am
RNY on 02/28/11 with
 A few weeks before my surgery the fashio bug near me shut down and everything was on clearence...I soo wanted to buy this cute outfit but i had no idea if i would every actually fit the size..Im glad now i didnt buy it bc i totally skipped the size! I dont have much spare cash so even tho it seems like a good idea i cant bring myself to buy clothing in a size im not in.

Tristabelle
on 5/16/11 2:54 am
Thank you. This is what I needed to hear.  I wondered if people skipped sizes sometimes.  It's so hard for me to wrap my head around losing so much weight so quickly as i've never experienced anything like that and so it's also hard for me to wrap my head around how quickly clothings sizes will change.

Katari
on 5/16/11 2:57 am - OR
I did not go out and buy any clothing before surgery, I figured I'd buy as I needed. I lost about 50 pounds before I really moved into the next size down, then I went from a size 16 to a size 10 and skipped everything in between! I didn't want to spend a lot of money on things I wouldn't need (skipping sizes in pretty common) and goodwill/consignment shops have stuff all the time. I just bought misc. stuff for the size I was in. At one point I had 2 pairs of jeans and 5 t-shirts in my closet. I saw absolutely no point in buying a "full wardrobe" at any one size. So I didn't buy any reall decent clothing until I was pretty much at goal or within 5 pounds of it anyway. Of course if you work, etc. You'll need to get some things as you shrink, but I wouldn't go out and spend a lot of money at this point. I tried to do a little advance shopping last spring as I was going overseas for a month and bought a size 6 while I was a 10 and by the time I wore them I could really have used a size smaller!
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

princessfrogee
on 5/16/11 3:09 am - AL
Because of my size, and knowing I was going to be having this surgery, I have not bought very many clothes in a while.  I have a closet full of clothes that I have not been able to wear in over a yr or two and came close to donating it all to the tornado victims a few wks ago.  I remembered that once I have surgery,  I would be in those sizes soon and probably wouldn't even stay in them long before needing new clothes, so I picked through them and kept some and donated some.
G.I.Jane
on 5/16/11 3:13 am
Goodwill is my best friend. I went thru 18 and 16 like nobody's business, but have been here in a 14 for about 2 months. I've bought everything thru Goodwill - cheap and fits well.

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.
Unknown.

rlw99
on 5/16/11 3:56 am - Oakland, CA
I wouldn't recommend buying anything in advance of your surgery, as you don't know how quickly you will lose or whether you will skip certain sizes. Some sizes I went through in a week or two, others I hung around in for a couple months...

Personally, I'm super picky when it comes to clothes and couldn't find anything decent at the thrift shops I went to. I've kept my eyes open for good sales at Macys and other department stores along the way, as well as kept an eye out for brands and styles that I know work well for me on Ebay. I've scored some great items for around $10 bucks each and have occasionally splurged on a full price item. It was worth it to me, even if I could only wear them a short time.

I've purchased at least one pair of jeans and one pair of pants for each size I've been. Shirts have been a little more forgiving, so I've been able to wear some old ones that still look good, as well as purchase a few new ones - that helped give my outfits a little more variety.

Good luck to you!!!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?