Almost 7 weeks out, scabs fell off, incisions bleeding & oozing

Dee2011
on 5/23/11 10:56 am - PA
Has anyone else had this happen?  Yucky!!  Everything else has been going pretty good up until this point.
Lisa R.
on 5/23/11 11:01 am - CA
 Gosh no, I am 3 weeks out and you can hardly see where the incision were.  I think you really need to see your doctor ASAP.
celticnurse
on 5/23/11 11:01 am, edited 5/23/11 11:28 am - Abingdon, MD
my staples were removed last wednesday. all was going well until saturday when the top of my incision started oozing a clear fluid....but thick. i noticed yesterday that the incision is starting to come apart. i called the doc today and i have to go in on wednesday so they can check it. in the mean time, i just have to keep doing what i've been doing......clean w/peroxide, dry, apply sterile 4x4 and cover w/tape....twice a day.
good luck to you with yours. i hope you have called your surgeon's office about this. please let me know how you are doing.
Monica M.
on 5/23/11 11:18 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
did you have it open or laparascopic?

mcclellandjulia
on 5/23/11 12:20 pm - Pineland, TX
Yeah, I had that happen about two weeks after my open RNY. The bottom of the incision had been oozing since I got home and then one day when I was changing the bandage some watery, blood tinted fluis came out. I called the nurse at the Dr's office and she said it was normal. Well, normal or not, it scared the hell out of me.But after that the incision healed nicely and no more problems with it.

mdolan20
on 5/23/11 3:00 pm - Brick, NJ
I was completely healed by 4 weeks...They covered them with that "glue" after surgery. I never had to do anything special to take care of them. I would def. call...sorry you are dealing with this :(
Melissa HW:350 SW:333 CW:234 GW:128

nancy409
on 5/23/11 8:46 pm - PA
Dee
I have one incision that seemed like it was taking forever to heal.  The one on the left side that was the second largest.  The biggest one had already healed up nicely but this one just was not appearing to heal as quickly.  I called once because it was a little red around it and was concerned because it wasn't healing like I expected.  I was told this was normal as long as it was not warm to the touch, no fever, or the redness was not more than a half inch.  Was told it may even drain a little.
Two weeks later it did drain a bit, not much just a few drops of what looked like stickly blood and the scab came off.  I put a bandaid on it for a couple of days so it did not drain on my clothes.  Since then it is healing nicely.  It is still there but much smaller and looking healthier.  I have an appt Wed soI figured I would discuss this with the dr.  If it is concerning to you I would definitely call.

Dee2011
on 5/23/11 9:29 pm - PA
Nancy,

It's the lagest incision and  the tweo smaller ones on the left side of it.  THen looked like they healing nicely then when the scabs fell off they started bleeding and oozing.
nancy409
on 5/23/11 10:21 pm - PA
It probably won't hurt to call the dr and see what they say.  When i called I talked to the nurse.

ecteach
on 5/23/11 11:37 pm - Hendersonville, NC
I had that happen - there was an internal stitch that was trying to come out.  They pulled it out and told me to put some betadine on it.  It healed right up.  Good luck!
"The only true disability in life is a bad attitude!" ~Scott Hamilton            
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 457 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views