Frustrated

Don27516
on 5/22/11 10:20 pm - NC
 I am 4 1/2 weeks out and frustrated. I know you hit stalls and from what I have read it sounds normal to hit a stall around three weeks out. I just don't understand why this happens. I lost 30 pounds in two weeks and the past two and a half weeks it has been nothing. I have even gained a few pounds. How is this possible? I have been eating about 800 calories a day with about 90 grams of protein. I have been getting plenty of exercise and I have been drinking 64 to 84 ounces of hydrating liquids every day. I hope this stall breaks soon. I even had someone say "I thought you had gastric bypass surgery". Is it possible for RNY to fail even if you follow the program?

bskarenf
on 5/22/11 10:53 pm
You already  said it, STALLS  hit right at about 3 weeks out and may last 4 to 5 1/2 weeks.  Just keep doing what youre doing and   eat your calories in  protein and good carbs .   Stay off the scales if you can for  awhile (  I know that is difficult)  Your body will catch up..  Make sure to write down your wt   and dates you do weigh because when you add up for  each month you ll realize youre losing more then you  think.  Your post  is probably identical to my post  when I was 3 weeks out.   The best advice I  was given  was to eat protein  and  drink.  I didnt eat  or test if I was a dumper til I was one year out when I hit and passed my own personal goal.  I want to mention that I thought my surgery didnt work.  I didnt realize I was going to be able to eat pretty much anything I wanted.   Someone here explained to me this surgery is a DO OVER, a   chance for me to  change my eating habits.   Good Luck and try not to get too caught up  with the scale.  It sounds like youre on track.     Remember your going to lose inches quickly even if the scale stays the same.                    good luck  

NIXMOMMIE
on 5/22/11 10:53 pm - NC
Don u have already lost a third of your weight in 2 weeks. Give yourself a break. You will start to lose again. I am a newbie, and I know u will be fine.

psx chelly
on 5/22/11 10:56 pm

My surgery was Jan 31st 2011, and I have had 2 stalls, both about 3 weeks each.

Keep a food journal.  Don't change what your doing just because your keeping a journal.

If your exercising, are you actually eating enough?  Sometimes the body will think its starving and start to store energy instead of burning it to prepare for the workout.

Are you drinking enough water?  You mention 60-80oz, but how hard are you exercising?  Is that enough water with your type of exercising?

After you've kept a food journal for a couple days, analyze what your eating.  Make sure your getting enough food.  If you don't think so, *maybe* add a healthy snack to your routine.. such as a low carb Beef Jerky.  I buy Jack Links original, low carb, and 15g protein.  Or you might add a low fat cheese snack, or even a low carb protein bar after your workout.  I use Atkins Advantage.

Both of my stalls were broken this way.  After the weight loss resumed, I analyzed my eating habits again and adjusted if necessary.

Don27516
on 5/22/11 11:14 pm - NC
 For exercise I am walking 1 to 3 miles a day. The past three days I have worked 13 hours a day so my exercise has been limited to the walking I do at work. I was on my feet walking at least 10 hours a day. I don't know if I could increase my food intake. Yesterday I had a turkey wrap with low fat cheese for two meals and a Wendy's chili for two meals. I supplemented my protein with a 20 ounce Isopure Alpine Fruit Punch (40 gm isolate whey protein). Does this sound okay for my food intake?

sonnieN
on 5/23/11 12:24 am - grand rapids, MI
when this happened to me it was at the same time I had an appt w/ my Dietician. She said that it's perfectly normal and one of the possible reasons is this is right when you're going from a liquid diet to purees & solid foods again. She said it could be that your body is just adjusting to that again. Also you're going from very low calories (at lease I was of probably 400 cals or so) up to about 800 so you're body is adjusting. It made sense to me and after a week or so the scale started moving again.
(deactivated member)
on 5/23/11 1:27 am - Boston, MA
 It really is frustrating isn't it??? I mean how can it be possible to eat under 1,000 calories a day and not lose weight? BUT you're forgetting that you just lost 30 pounds in 2 weeks, that's over 2 pounds every single day for 2 weeks.. your body can't keep that up forever it needs a  rest!  I'm 2 months out and I've already had two stalls one for 2 weeks and one for 3 weeks.. they feel like forever but they do stop and you will start losing again.  We have all been there, you will not fail! Just stick to your plan and it will happen!
Carrie W.
on 5/23/11 1:29 am - KY
I know how you feel!! I hope your stall breaks soon!
Most Active
Recent Topics