sweat lodge okay??

nweeks621
on 5/24/11 2:29 pm - Stockton, CA
my girlfriends have been urging me to go sweat with them at an indian sweat lodge..jus wondering if there r any contra indications..heat kinda made me sick before surgery..i am almost 8 months out at about 168 lbs..thanks guys..i always come to u with my questions(:
nicole

DailyMae123
on 5/24/11 3:21 pm
I personally think they are dangerous.  If you go and you feel you've been in there long enough and someone tries to talk you into staying longer - don't.  Get out when you start to feel you should.  It's like anything - take care of yourself and be careful.
Just my opinion.

lynnc99
on 5/24/11 8:43 pm
I would be very worried about dehydration, which can be a very serious situation for us. Personally, I'm 2 years out and doing well...and I wouldn't do this.
nancybugg
on 5/25/11 12:07 am - Riverview, FL
I've done it and I was fine.  Just drink a lot before and after.  If you start to feel weird at all they shouldn't have a problem with you leaving.  When I got too hot I ended up laying on the ground and that made me feel better.  Then I drank an entire bottle of water within 5 minutes of leaving the lodge.
silli-jilli
on 5/25/11 12:18 am - WI

I disagree with the statement that sweat lodges are dangerous. I've been doing them for years and have never been in danger. If you are at a REPUTABLE sweat lodge they will let you out if you are feeling sick or even if you get nervous. REPUTABLE ones will not tell you to not drink water or to fast beforehand. (The instance in AZ was NOT reputable!)

That being said, as long as you hydrate yourself well beforehand (do vitamin water, gatorade, propel, crystal lite), you should be fine. laying down on the ground away from the stones will help as well. Some lodges will even let you bring water inside with you.

Make sure you wear loose cotton clothing. It will help to stay cooler.

I just did my last sweat lodge on Saturday. I can't wait to be able to go again. I'm figuring I will have to wait a couple months before I can go again.

Enjoy it! It is a BEAUTIFUL, spiritual experience!!

Aho!

jillbhappy
on 5/25/11 2:25 am - Oceanside, CA
Didn't a bunch of people just die at one of those and the guy hosting it is on trial for murder? Maybe try going to a hot yoga class first and see how you do.
nweeks621
on 5/25/11 2:32 am - Stockton, CA
thank you ev1 for helping me with this decision..u guys r awesome..i guess im going for it..if i feel weird or too hot, i will step out..tryn to strengthn my spirit
nicole
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?