Post Op Thigh pain while sleeping

SelfPay
on 5/26/11 2:39 am

I'm two weeks postop and doing fine.  However, my left thigh still has some numbness and when I sleep at night, a couple of times per night I'm awakened by sharp pains in my left thigh.  It's as if someone has stuck a needle in it and consequently, I must rub my thigh and try to shake it out so-to-speak.  The numbness seems to be subsiding every so slowly but the needle like pain has not yet.

Anyone else with the same bizarre postop situation? Thanks.

SweetGatorGirl
on 5/26/11 2:41 am - Gainesville, FL
I had this for a short time (maybe 3-4 weeks) post op.  What I found helped was taking tylenol before bed.  It may help you, too.
HW 252/SW 243/GW 135/CW 146                

facethemusic
on 5/26/11 3:02 am
It sounds a lot like what I deal with having RLS.  Heat helps a lot before bed.  Mine almost feels like it does when your leg falls asleep and is starting to wake up.  You know how you get sharp pains when it is waking up?  That's what mine feel like.  Try stretching right before bed too.  That helps with circulation and seems to help reduce the severity of it when it happens to me.

Are you getting enough B-12?  B-12 deficiencies can cause nerve issues and pain as well. 
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

tydephan
on 5/26/11 6:24 am
I am on day 9 Post-op and I've had these same symptoms in both thigh (outside from knee to waist) since the 3rd day of post-op.

The numbness is persistence all day. The "needle effect" seems to only happen when I first awake in the mornings.

It can be very painful. I was told by the nurse that it is likely one of several things:

1.) Temporary nerve damage from sleeping differently. I've always been a side sleeper and for about 5 days I couldn't sleep anywhere but on my back.
2.) Pinched nerve from walking/carrying myself differently.

Either way, she said it was likely the symptoms would cease in a few weeks.
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 261 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 274 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 318 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 275 views