Pre-Surgery Jitters!

treehousestories
on 5/30/11 11:21 am
So, apparently there are lots of emotions that go along with making life changing decisions! The past two days I have turned into a bit of a wreck. I've been so wrapped up with doing all the requirements for surgery the past year and a half that I hadn't taken two seconds to sit down and think about what would actually be happening to me. So, now that the requirements are DONE and the date is SET....I have time to think.  (Surgery Date is June 16th)

In 16 days, my life is about to change! I will basically be "breaking up" emotionally with food. The break up starts tomorrow, technically. Tomorrow is the beginning of my 14 day pre-op low carb diet. I'm also giving up all caffeine starting tomorrow. Its going to be a challenge! The low carb diet won't be that hard or different for me because I've done so many similar diets throughout my life. Admittedly, I have eaten really ****ty the past few months because it felt like this was the last chance for me to enjoy lots of different kinds of foods before the surgery. (tisk, tisk...I know.) 

I have to get my head back in the game! Its crunch time. 

I want to be strong. I know its going to be hard...I know there will be pain...but I want to be strong! I don't want to be a whiney baby about this. This is my first major surgery, so that in itself is kind of scary. I want to make myself and everyone I love proud. I want to do this and be a success. I don't want to second guess myself or be a wimp! I made this decision for myself and its the right one. 

I'm scared of these emotions. I'm scared of how I will deal with these emotions once I can't turn to food for comfort. I'm scared that my depression will kick into high gear. Its common for lots of gastric bypass patients, but I hope I can handle it gracefully. 
Holly O.
on 5/30/11 1:22 pm - FL
Take a deep breathe, it wll be o.k.  I am having surger June 14th......I m abou 2 weeks out.......toorrow I have my E.K.G. and Chest x-ray..........it s al good!!,  Please relax..........yu wil be fine!!  Holly
   Holly                                      
treehousestories
on 5/31/11 1:00 am
Good luck with yours! :)
harleymama31
on 5/30/11 2:34 pm
Ok, take a big ol deep breathe and RELAX!!!

Just think, after you do the big ol nasty breakup with food, its all uphill after that!! NEW CLOTHES, (shoes for me snickersnicker), better lease on life....have even heard that depression in RNYers can sometimes get better after surgery not worse! the days will FLY by, until that last week. thats when the whole new attitude of "HEY ive got this one in the bag!".

I had my surgery on 10/23/08, was down 30lbs in 2weeks. By the time I had my panni on 2/16/10, i was down 153lbs. Know which surgery scared me more? Panni. My plastic surgeon, who is also my bari dr's son, told me this...."RNY is a more dangerous surgery than any other surgery there is. ITS BEFORE open heart surgery and heart transplant. Panni is a walk in the park. why are you so scared?" Told him the truth, he was actually cutting something off of me. Something I have had and is a part of me and my "past self". I was actually have an issues losing my skin.

Sorry rambling!! Like I say, you WILL be fine!! BE HAPPY you get a new "Birthday"!!! As for the the "success" part? it will come to you naturally, really it does!!
 JUST REMEMBER THIS ADVICE I AM SERIOUS!! NEVER EVER 
COMPARE YOURSELF TO ANOTHER WEIGHTLOSS SURGERY PATIENT. YOUR situation and THEIR situation are COMPLETELY different!! 
treehousestories
on 5/31/11 1:00 am
Thanks for your inspiration and support. :)
kgee
on 5/30/11 11:13 pm - MD
 You are not alone.

We share the same surgery date and my emotions are all over the place.

treehousestories
on 5/31/11 12:59 am
Thanks for your reply! Thats awesome that we have the same date. :) I'm hoping my emotions will level out soon.
kimbers33
on 5/31/11 1:54 am - springdale, PA
Hi,
I can relate, this is my first ever surgery too and I am so scared. I too am worried about the emotions but I am so looking forward to get healthy. I am trying to focus on the positive. We can do this !!!!!
Kimbers
Most Active
Recent Topics