Preop diet question

Suzanne Gottschalk
on 6/2/11 2:59 am - Columbia, MO
I am wondering if those of you who cheated on a liquid-only preop diet had to do their surgery at another time or got opened up? I have read many posts on here that allow one sensible meal during the day, and I have been doing more liquid than that. I'm wondering if I'll be okay. Please be positive, I know that there are a lot of opinions, like I've read, "I don't know why anyone would compromise their surgery..." things like that. I feel I am not compromising my surgery, and am following the diet as best I can.

2nd question is: How soon before surgery are you supposed to not eat anything? I know I'm not supposed to have anything after midnight the night before my surgery - what have your experiences been?

Thanks! 
~Suzanne
Holly O.
on 6/2/11 3:06 am - Bradenton, FL
I am 2 weeks away from surgery..........I am doing a high protein, low carb diet.  No eating or drinking after midnight the night before surgery.  3 weeks on liquids after surgery.  I wish you the best.

tydephan
on 6/2/11 3:07 am
My surgeon advised a 2-week pre-op diet of protein shakes only. 

I did 2 shakes during the day and a turkey sandwhich on whole wheat each night. Lost close to 25lbs before surgery. 

After the surgery, the surgeon told me the liver was still a little fatty, but he was able to successfully complete the surgery laporascopically.

In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have cheated on the liquid diet. But I knew I was losing so rapidly that I thought it was ok. 

As far as your second question, I was told nothing but clear liquids 24 hours before surgery. That, of course, also required two bottles of mag citrate that cleansed anything left in my system. Blech.

Good luck to you in your endeavor!

John
Heather M.
on 6/2/11 3:09 am - MI
My experience won't help you, because not only did I not cheat, I actually did a liquid diet for 2 weeks prior even though the doc only required one. So I don't know what happens.

One thing I feel I should say is that for specific questions like the how long not to eat before hand, you will want to call your surgeon's office. Why? Because I was SOOO surprised when I got on OH how much variety there are in docs. I've heard of people not having to do liquid at all... I've heard of others doing liquid for one week, two weeks, one month. Others have to do 6 months of doctor's supervision, others, a year.

Of course, everyone on here is SOO amazing at giving their ideas, advice, but since every single doc is different, you want to make  sure you do what HE (or she) wants you to do, not what others here did in the past.

That being said, my experience (mine, with Dr Kole) was liquid for a week (I did two), then the very last day before was all clear liquids (not even protein shakes). Then, no eating or drinking after midnight. :) Hope that helps! AND BEST OF LUCK!!!!!
Suzanne Gottschalk
on 6/2/11 3:38 am - Columbia, MO
Thanks for all of your input - you all are the best!
JessieRae
on 6/2/11 3:51 am - NY
I am starting my 2 week pre-op liquid diet on Monday. My surgeon allows protein shakes(up to 4 or 5 a day..depending on the shake),as well as other clear liquids such as SF popsicles and low sodium broth or diet juices. I'm also allowed 2 servingss of limited vegetables a day. As for eating before surgery..my doctor allows NO food after midnight and ONLY clear liquids starting @ 3pm the day prior to surgery =)
Mia H.
on 6/2/11 4:15 am - OH
 The preop diet varies so much per doctor.  My doctor just said low fat (800-1200 calorie) diet at least 2 weeks prior to the surgery, clear liquids only on the day before, and nothing after midnight the night before.  I also think it matters on the type of surgery (open or lap) as well.  I am having open RNY.  

KM724
on 6/2/11 6:53 am
hi mia.... i was just wondering why you were choosing to have an open RNY instead of lap??? I'm actually having my surgery on monday and i'm so scared tht my surgeon is going to have to do it open instead of lap dur to my fatty liver. i'm praying it will be done as planned though.

Mommy to the 3 most beautiful little boys in the world...... This is all for you guys (:
HW 311  SW 298  CW 255  GW 180

Sara B.
on 6/2/11 8:28 am - Edenton, NC
My surgeon had me on opti fast. I drank 5 shakes a day. Could have all the crystal light and sugar free popsicles i wanted. That was it. I didn't cheat not once! It's not about how much "weight" you loose during those two weeks. The two week liquid diet is for shrinking your liver and "melting" the fat from it so the surgery is easy to perform. My surgeon told me he would know if I cheated and if he went in and my liver was fatty he would close me and not perform the surgery! You can do it!!!! It's not the easiest thing in the world. Ask yourself this: if you can't do those two weeks how in the world are you going to eat right for the rest of your life?  
Most Active
Recent Topics