8 days til surgery..... trying not to freak out!!!

Amy T.
on 6/2/11 1:16 am - CA
Today marks 8 days until I will be on the operating table.  I had my last appt with the surgeon yesterday.  Tomorrow I go to the hospital and get my EKG, chest xtray and labs.  I have my bag packed, and am obsessing about getting things done around the house.  I am trying to keep my nerves in check.  I have had bouts of anxiety lately,  and really need to harness that energy into something productive.

Add to the anxiety, we are due to close on our house that we have been building in about 6 weeks, and I start summer session at my college 3 weeks after surgery.  WHEW.  Lots of changes coming up in the near future.  All positive.  

My liquid diet starts Monday.  God help me.  LOL.

Any suggestions for keeping the anxiety in check this next 8 days?  

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom, encouragement and support.  I appreciate OH and am thankful I found such a great place for support.

Amy
I am ready to be an active participant in my life rather than a spectator...  

rosecaddy
on 6/2/11 2:10 am
your not alone my surgery day is june 8th have also had my final visit with doctor started  a protien diet almost two weeks ago  have to do liguid diet on sun and monday then the big day  i keep the anxiety down by staying busy and reminding myself why i started this journey in the first place. we are so blessed to be able to do this so keep that in mind . thats great about your home i unfortunatley just lost my home to foreclosure i have a daughter due to have her first child in a few days and i to will be going back to school in august so i can definetly relate but all that being said i am so exicited to be doing something for me everything else will fall in to place so may god bless you and take you thru the finale process eneventfully and feel free to check in with me following surgery so we can see how each other is doing and to continue to support each other just as oh does. you will be fine!!!!!!!!!

D-J
on 6/2/11 2:12 am
My RNY surgery is 14 days away ,,i just started the pre-op protien diet and will go completly liquid the day before surgery,,i am nervous too,i know exactly how you feel,,but your doing right by keeping busy and getting your mind off it,,me??? i am gonna find a lot of movies i like to watch and start eating my time up like that when ever i start getting real ansy,,hehe,,i know i am writting alot on my blog these days,,,,keep us posted,,LOL 
Holly O.
on 6/2/11 2:14 am - Bradenton, FL
I am 12 days out so I know how you feel!!  I have my last appt. with the surgeon this Friday!!  I have all  my tests done thank goodness.
The Chest x-ray and the EKG were the fastest tests ever.........not bad at all.

Today I started on a high protein low carb diet to shrink my liver. About 1200 calories a day...........noliquids for me until after surgery for 3 weeks.  Yesterday I met with the dietien............very interesting and she sure answered a lot of questions.  Every surgeon does different things.............she will stay with me for a year so I feel really good about that.

As far as anxiety...........take some long walks, take long bubble baths.........I'm having a pedicure after work!!  Someone rubbing my feet calms me down!!  You will be on the losing side very soon.........I'll be right behind you for support!!  You are going to do just great!!

Holly

Amy Smith
on 6/2/11 4:05 am
Okay, so the secret is to stay busy and try not to spend time by yourself.  I know I was nuts and I had mine in August (I am a teacher so I was anxiously awaiting it through all of summer break.)  I ended up running a theater camp that ended the Friday before my Monday surgery.  Then on Saturday I had a dog show to go to and Sunday I spend floating in a friends pool (that way I wasn't near food and I could sleep as much as I wanted.)

Stay busy and try to arrange things so others are counting on you, that way you will think more about that and less about "the rest of your life."