New and going on a cruise

lynni
on 6/6/11 10:13 am
I am scheduled to have my surgery and 9 weeks after I am going on a cruise.  Has anyone else been a newbee and gone on a cruise?  Can you take protein shakes and mix them on board?

lynnc99
on 6/6/11 10:23 am
Take a good look at your surgeon's post op eating plan. By 9 weeks I was able to eat many regular foods.

But yes, you can take pre-packaged protein (or mesure into ziploc bags) and mix them with skim milk on board. This will assure you a jump start on protein for the day.

You should be able to do well with eating fish and steamed veggies for your meals, as well as items such as thin sliced turkey (I order a half sandwich and "take it apart" all the time), some fruits, soups, etc.

Plan your time around activities and experiences....not food. Eat when you need to eat and eat what you need to eat and you will be fine.
lynni
on 6/7/11 12:09 am
Flying to La for a few days then a 7 day cruise to Mexico.  I am so excited.  Thanks for the info.  The freinds that I am going with are showing concern that I won't be able to travel and so it made me a little concerned.

fatfreemama
on 6/6/11 11:53 am - San Jose, CA
 Cruises are great.  They have buffets with everything you need.  I always walked the whole buffet for breakfast and lunch and selected what would work on my plan before I picked up a plate.  Then I only got what I had picked out.  They also have sugar free desserts so at dinner, I could have dessert like everyone else.  You can always ask for dressings, sauces, etc on the side.  They use a lot of butter like in the veggies so be sure to ask for them steamed, no butter.  And you can take your protein shakes with you.

Good luck and have a great time!  Where are you going?

Jan
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 6/6/11 11:59 am
My brother and SIL went on a cruise a couple of months after she had RNY.  She did fine.  There are plenty of options.  Cruises don't have to be about the food.

Winnie

Lori P.
on 6/6/11 12:46 pm - Kenosha, WI
You already got some great advice...but I am a cruise junkie....so I will add my 2 cents!!!

There are SO many choices on a cruise that you really should have no trouble finding good quality protein to eat.  Bringing a stash of protein powder is a great idea. 

You will be able to find an assortment of yogurts, cooked vegies, just about any cooked cereal (which I no longer eat...but was on my early postop soft diet plan), eggs (some people have trouble with them early out), and just about any meat and fish you can imagine.

HAVE FUN!!!!!

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 430 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 363 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 447 views
Recent Topics