How much Vitamin D is too much? Is there such a thing?

Kristi D.
on 6/7/11 11:13 am - Buffalo, NY
I am 4 months out and I am still feeling fairly fatigued.  I have increased my protein, but it has not helped.  My surgeon won't really give me any suggestions and tells me my labs are "fine" (I am going to call tomorrow and see if I can get a copy).  So, my question is could I potentially harm myself if I try supplementing with dry D3 without knowing what my current labs say?  Could I "overdose" or anything?  I have read that there is a huge range of "normal" for this lab and just because I fall within that range doesn't mean that I am at the ideal level for ME to feel good.  Any thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks.

Kristi

HW:276   SW:255   CW:201  LW:165  GW:140

poet_kelly
on 6/7/11 11:19 am - OH
You haven't been supplementing D3?  If not, I'd bet money you're deficient, almost everyone in the world is.

Get a copy of your labs so you know how much you need to take.  It should only take a couple days for them to send you a copy, and actually they should be able to tell you on the phone tomorrow what your D level is.  You need it at least 80, by the way.

But if you take some D3 before finding out your level, no, you won't hurt yourself.  I mean, maybe if you took a WHOLE LOT.  If you get 50,000 IU D3, for instance, and take it a couple times a week, it should be fine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kristi D.
on 6/7/11 12:02 pm - Buffalo, NY
No, I have not been supplementing with Vit D.  My surgeon never even mentioned it. Per his reccomendation I am currently taking a multi 2x/day, calcium citrate 500mg 2x/day and 27gm iron 2x/day.  I am learning more about vitamins on this board than from my surgeons office, which I think is pretty sad.  Anyway, I am trying to be proactive and take charge of my own health since my surgeon is so casual about vitamins and labs.

Kristi

poet_kelly
on 6/7/11 12:13 pm - OH
Well, according to the ASMBS, you need 500 mg calcium citrate three or four times a day, so you're not getting enough of that.  You need 36 mg iron if you do not menstruate, and an additional 18-27 mg if you do menstruate.  You also need B12.

I'm not sure why your doc disagrees with the ASMBS guidelines, but I think he's giving you poor advice when it comes to vitamins.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jkjstars123
on 6/7/11 12:07 pm - Tama, IA
What kind of vit D to take and how much. Where can you buy it at. My surgeon just mentioned it to me even though I'm 18 months out. He said to take 800-1200 u????

Thanks Julie

HW 304, SW 291, GW 160, CW 140 H-5'9.5"            

poet_kelly
on 6/7/11 12:15 pm - OH
D3, not D2.  How much depends on your level.  What was it last time you had labs done?  800-1200 IU is almost certainly not enough, but you need your level to know for sure.

Based on my labs, I take 50,000 IU four times a week.

princessfrogee
on 6/7/11 11:23 am - AL
According to a chart I printed off a few wks ago, it shows 50 mcg's max, but I bet that is for non-WLS patients.

"When you know better, you do better." ~Maya Angelou~

BW 334.4 / CW: 227 / GW 180             
Siberia
on 6/7/11 11:37 am
Kristi D,

Fatigue can be due to not eating enough carbohydrates such as non-starchy vegetables and fruits- fresh if tolerated, or canned in juice and rinsed off.  Protein foods do not supply energy.  Vitamins do not supply energy.

Vitamin D is a hormone that has been called a vitamin.  It is fat-soluble so you need to have some fat in your diet to absorb it.  The monosaturated and polyunsaturated fats are desirable in your diet.  The recommendation is for 3 teaspoons per day of olive, peanut or canola for instance.

Since Vitamin D is fat-souble it is stored in the body.  Yes, it can be toxic at very high levels.  Values around 32 are at the low end.  Vitamin D3 is the one to take.  The regimen has been 50,000IU one time per week for 10 weeks as prescribed by your physician. 

Find out what your lab values are, you will then know whether or not to supplement.  Most people are deficient in Vitamin D and need to supplement.  Vitamin D helps calcium to be absorbed better in the body.  That is why they are usually taken together.

Kristi D.
on 6/7/11 12:08 pm - Buffalo, NY
Hmm, that's interesting.  When I told my surgeon that I still felt like I didn't have much energy the first thing he said was "lets get some bloodwork done so we can check your protein level".  I assumed that low protein could be the cause of the fatigue.  I also thought I had read posts from people saying that low Vit D levels caused fatigue.  I do get some carbs and good fats in almost daily.  I'm just not sure what else could be causing me to feel like I'm dragging all the time. 

Kristi

Siberia
on 6/7/11 12:25 pm
Kristi D,

Only you surgeon or internist can tell you why you are fatigued.

However, have you checked your Hemaglobin and Hematocrit lab levels?  Low levels indicated Anemia.  In this case you would need to supplement with Ferrous Sulfate.

If you are a menstruating female, you should already be taking an iron supplement.  However, many patients develop Anemia within the first 5 years after Roux-En-Y surgery.  Remember to take you MVI and iron supplements separately from milk products for good absorption.

Do you exercise?  An exercise like walking or water aerobics, etc. will increase your energy level if your labs are WNL.