Newbie and debating RNY or Lap Band

ThomasWifey76
on 6/9/11 1:41 am - AK
Hey y'all!!! My name is Samantha and I am 34 yrs old.  We are stationed at Ft Richardson Alaska.  I've been between overweight and obese for about 8 years now. I recently had my referral approved through Tricare to see Dr. Searles here in Anchorage Alaska. I've done every diet known to man and even some crazy ones seen in magazines. Nothing seems to be helping and have been researching and talking with people who have had the surgery. So I hoping with the help of Lap Band or RNY, exercise and nutrition I will be headed in the right direction of a healthier beautiful me.

Is there anyone who else out there who is or close to 4' 11 with a bmi close to 46, that has had RNY?  I've done so much research on the two surgeries that the surgeon does, I think I may have brain overload.  Any input as to why you chose RNY over Lap Band would be greatly appreciated.
(deactivated member)
on 6/9/11 1:46 am - NJ
Hey!  I am 5 feet tall and started out with a bmo of 42.2 (216 pounds).

Had the band placed in June 08, couldn't tolerate any fluid and had it out in March 09 because of severe reflux and the fact I was vomiting all the time (see my profile for more info).  Biggest kicker is that I hardly lost any weight!

Had RNY in April 09 and I am thrilled.  I can eat normally and lost the weight within a year (and I lost more slowly as a revision - a virgin WLS'er loses more quickly).

I had an all time low of 103, bounced between that and 108, however in February had to go on the pill and within 2 weeks I gained 5 pounds that will not budge.  So, I bounce around 108 - 110 now.  No big deal as my bmi is still incredibly normal at 21.1.

Good luck with your choice!
ThomasWifey76
on 6/9/11 1:55 am - AK
Thank you for the response Jennifer.  That has been my biggest fear is reflux.  I am already dealing with a small bought of that just from certain things I eat ever since I had my gall bladder removed.  Throwing up has always been hard on me but after my surgery it felt like a nightmare.  Did you have any complications with RNY after you had it done?
(deactivated member)
on 6/9/11 7:10 am - NJ
I have to be honest with you, kiddo.  If you are suffering from reflux, I would advise against the band.  I had trouble with it before the band, and after it was placed, my reflux stayed the same.  As soon as I got a fill, it got worse.  When I got another fill, it was unbearable and flared up to the point that just the empty band was painful.  Everything made me vomit and it was just awful.

In no way, shape or form am I a medical professional, I just wanted to share that with  you.  I do know someone who's reflux was cured by the band, but I know of many more who have had it removed for that very reason.

I had my gallbladder out 3 weeks ago and some adhesions removed last May.  *Knocking on some wood* I have had no other issues.  I am so much happier.  My only regret is that I caved and listed to my family carry on about the "benefits" of the band, such as "same-day surgery, removable and, my favorite, the 'less invasive' surgery" and not going for the RNY first. 

And, although I know of one person who has been smashingly successful with his band, he is the only one I know who has lost more than 100 pounds.  Not sure how much you want to lose, but you are almost my size and I am guessing you want to lose close to that?  

And rememeber, only you know what's best for you. 

lynni
on 6/9/11 1:56 am
I am 5'4 with a BMI of just over 50.  I had the band done in 2006 it slipped and had to be replaced in 2008.  It kept my binging in check but after the initial loss of 85 lbs I gradually started putting it back on again. In 2010 I had to have it removed, It eroded into my stomach.  I am scheduled to have RNY in July.  I wish I had converted to RNY when it slipped in 2008. 

I think the choice has to be yours and no one elses.  I'm not against the band it just didn't work for me.

bittybabynurse
on 6/9/11 1:58 am - MN
I was debating this very same thing a few months ago. I decided to go with the RNY for a couple of reasons:

1. The surgeon, during the info meeting mentioned that the band is a machine - how often do we replace our cars, computers, tvs, etc. Its a machine and it will enventually fail and have to be replaced. The typical lifespan on the band is 10 years. I'm 32. That means I could potentially have to have it replaced at least 3 times!

2. I think (just my opinion based on observations and thoughts...) it is easier to cheat with the band. This may be completely wrong. I'm a bit jaded, as I have a coworker who got the band, lost about 50 lbs and then keeps losing regaining it back. She knows how to cheat it. I'm good at sabotaging myself - I didn't want to set myself up. I know you can cheat the bypass too, but I feel like the band is easier to cheat with...

Its a tough decision. The band tends to have fewer risks and/or complications up front, and "seems" less scary because nothing is being permanently altered, but more potential complications down the road. The RNY tends to have more risk/potential complications up front, but perhaps fewer down the road.

Do you have any other health issues, like diabetes, sleep apea, high blood pressure? My surgeon said that in that case he will almost exclusively recommend the RNY.

Good luck with your decision!
Highest  272 Consult 265 Goal 165 Current 158    

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker]
ANNI D.
on 6/9/11 1:59 am
Well, I'm not exactly who you asked to respond, but I just wanted to let you know, to do a lot of reading on these different boards. Visit ALL the different surgery boards. RNY, VSG (sleeve), DS, and lap band. No one can really tell you what's best for you, but you. I just really encourage you to do your research. I know some people that love their lap band, but they're finding out, that there are A LOT of things that can/will go wrong with the lap band. If you go to the main board here on Obesity Help, and ask about the lap band, you might get 4 people that love their band, but you will be bombarded with people that are extremely against it. There is even a Failed Lap Band Board, now too.

I personally was stuck deciding between the RNY and DS. I chose the RNY and I LUV it. I have had no complications or problems. I have lost around 45 lbs in 3 months. I know someone posted the other day about losing over 100 lbs in 4 months! Just do your research. Now,  there will be some people that LUV their surgery so much that they will tell you that every other surgery is crap and militantly try to convince you to NOT have anything else. BUT, you, need to figure out what you think will best suit you. You also need to look elsewhere on the internet to do research also, because like I said before, people on the main board can get pretty nasty, when trying to convince you to have their surgery. I wish you nothing but good luck, while you make your decision!

If you have any questions about these surgeries that you don't see in the postings, there's a search engine up in the right corner of the screen and you can type in ANYTHING and get a ton of different answers. And if you can't find what you're looking for there, be sure ask questions on the boards. I know that we, RNYer's, are more than happy to answer anything you want to know about gastric bypass, and most other boards are too!
I only strive to be, the kind of person my dogs think I am!                               

Of the choices we are given, it's no choice at all....
                                             -Patty Griffin

terilynn112
on 6/9/11 4:36 am - maryland, NY
VERY well written!

That said... I'm a prior banded, now bypassed wls patient. My band kept slipping, mildly, the reflux was horrid, and never did loose much. With the bypass my reflux is cured. My sugar is cured. My blood pressure is less than normal (low), and sleep apnea is gone. I'm 40 yrs old, and can now out run my 14 yr old. I'm glad my band is gone. I'm learning a ton, because this is a totally differently lifestyle. And it's something you have to accept for life.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

_Donna_
on 6/9/11 2:01 am
Just my personal opinion that swayed my decision to have RNY.

First, my sister had lap band and cant get below 170 lbs.
Second, it is my opinion after much research, if you have more than 100 lbs to lose you wont get there with the lap band, only with RNY.

With that said, you have to ask yourself how strong is your commitment to weight loss? RNY is a lifelong commitment with supplement replacements forever!

RNY 5-5-2011

ThomasWifey76
on 6/9/11 2:11 am - AK
Thank you so much ladies!!  I have been looking and reading through all of the forums.  Even have some friends who have had both surgeries.  But got the impression from them regarding their choices like they were trying to decide for me what I should have done, etc.  The nurse in my surgeons office recommended I come here and ask my questions.  She also had weightloss surgery and found this site to be very helpful.   All the insight has been great and I am attended a seminar this evening on both surgeries.  I realize that it's a huge decision and already feel I know what my choice is but still asking questions and reading to make sure I am making the right decision for me.  I greatly appreciate everyone being so honest and informative!!
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 329 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 339 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 457 views