What do you do?

Don27516
on 6/9/11 9:17 am - NC
What do you do when you just feel like giving up? I have had a terrible day. I have been unemployed since January and the job market stinks right now for an almost 58 year old man. There were so many times today I wanted to give in even if it meant I might dump (I am only 7 weeks out today). Sorry to post this vent session. I am a widower and I don't have anyone to listen to me complain. I guess my answer to the question is I walk. I took two 5K walks today to get away from the temptations. I might go for another walk now that the temperature is under 100 degrees. I hope tomorrow is a better day.

Laura in Texas
on 6/9/11 9:30 am
Hang in there!!  You can get through this!!  Walking sounds like a great way to deal with your stress. Continue to take care of you and everything will fall into place.  Keep the faith!!

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

nomoresugar
on 6/9/11 9:50 am
Giving in won't help.  If you think back, it really never did, and help get you to a place where you needed surgery to get healthy.

the job market does suck, but the healthier you are, the better your chances.  Good work on the walking.  It will do wonders for you.
Bkritty
on 6/9/11 9:54 am

I am sorry to hear you are going through so much! I can't say that I can relate personally, but my father is 58 and in a two week period lost my mom and his job. I was so worried about him and then he decided to enroll in community college and it turned his whole life around. He graduated this May. He started feeling like he had a purpose...a goal. He cared more about himself and started taking care of his health (severe diabetic) and eating and exercising. I know it seems impossible right now. Keep yourself active any way you can...taking classes is a way to help with the gaps on a resume as well as keeping your brain busy! Just a suggestion! Be easy on yourself. You are only 7 weeks out! I have surgery in a little over two weeks, but my mother had RNY 6 years ago so I know a little about what you must be going through. Think good thoughts and best wishes!

Kristie

SugarGrl
on 6/9/11 10:09 am
Remind yourself every day that you are important and that you are going to take care of you.  Then you keep busy.  Try volunteering, sometimes that way you can network yourself into a job.  Check out the local hospitals they are usually hiring. I'll keep you in my prayers. 

WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!  LET'S GET HEALTHY!     STARTING WEIGHT 211.8, SURGERY 23 MAR 11; ONEDERLAND 30 MAR 11 199.2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

ShrinkingJoe
on 6/9/11 10:12 am, edited 6/9/11 10:12 am
Don:

This is what I do. When crappy things happen to me in my life, when I have major financial problems (like every other day!), when I get hit with problem orders and customers, I just remember that dealing with problems is much easier now that I am 220 lbs as opposed to when I was 404 lbs.  Yeah - I'm getting yelled at by bill collectors, but at least I'm not out of breath!

So you might feel like giving up, but it is better than feeling like giving up AND being fat!

So don't give up!  Keep working at your weight and your health no matter what happens -- your improving health will become its own very powerful source of joy for you!

Good luck!

-Joe
D-J
on 6/9/11 10:37 am
I am so sorry your feeling bad i know how hard it is to find a job these days,,i have other friends who are going thru the same thing,,I am glad you had the mind to go walking though,,kudo's to you my friend,i have my surgery on the 16th of this month,but i have heard that alot of times when emotions get overwelming like that it could have something to do chemical wise as you lose the wieght so if your not ussually prone to moods such as those that might be something to think about,i hope you get to feeling better soon.
DebsGiz
on 6/9/11 11:44 am - FL
Don,

Just wanted you to know that I'm sending you lots of warm thoughts for a brighter tomorrow.

What I usually do when I want to give up is generally one of two things.  I either lay down and take a nap and meditate, or I dig in and force myself to push through whatever it is.  Fake it 'til you make it sort thing.

Anyhow, please know that you are being held  in positive thought.
Don27516
on 6/9/11 11:51 am - NC
 Thanks for all the positive thoughts. I had always tried to hide behind my fat and find comfort in food. I will not fail in this attempt to find the new me hiding under the fat.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 122 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views