Surgery scheduled, pre-op diet jitters

Shellbatronic
on 6/15/11 1:46 am - NC
This has been such a whirlwind, I got my insurance approval last week and here I am now with a surgery date- July 1!  That means I have to start the pre-op diet in, like, 2 days.  The lady at the surgeon's office said if they get me in there and my liver is too big they will just not do the surgery.  Is it possible to do the pre-op diet and my liver still be too big?  That scares me!  I'm overwhelmed by all this.

I'm scared of the liquid diet, the shakes- I hate using blenders, do people who work blend one in the morning and bring it to work in a thermos or something?  I know I have to start really exercising, too.  My boyfriend said after my surgery he will buy me a kinect for my XBox so I can play dance and workout games, until then I need to get back into something.

I keep crying for no reason- am I scared?  Overwhelmed?  Anxious?  I was a size 16 at age 8, a 22/24 now, this has been my entire life, part of me thinks this won't work either because nothing else has.  Can anyone help calm my nerves? :)
Candigirl23
on 6/15/11 1:53 am
I am early out and by far no expert, but I think all of us who have had a weight problem most of our lives can relate to how you are feeling. Take a deep breath. I have been struggling and crying because the numbers on the stupid scale are not going down, but I went to support group last night and it made all the difference in the world. Be good to yourself. Don't worry about your liver, follow the plan and you should be good to go!

~ THE BEST IS YET TO BE ~

kgee
on 6/15/11 2:01 am - MD
 Hi there!

I drank the Medifast shakes... still am.  Thankfully, today is my last day of the preop diet-- my surger is tomorrow!!

I work in a doctor's office and I brought a blender in with me.  I hate the noise it makes and try to "blend" when there is nobody in the waiting room.  It's all about timing for me.

You will be fine.  Just follow your surgeon's instructions for the preop diet and things will go smoothly.

Good luck to you!

Carrie W.
on 6/15/11 2:03 am - KY
You've made a huge decision and things are moving very fast. It's completely reasonable that you're overwhelmed and scared!! I was pretty much in the same boat too! Just take a deep breath and think on why you want to have this surgery.

I've also always been heavy. I'm 10 weeks out and 50lbs down but I'm still a 22! I don't know how I'll handle being a truly "normal" sized person. Honestly, I'll worry about it when I get there!

I got really worked up looking at before and after pics on here pre-op. I just couldn't wrap my mind around a change like that happening to ME! I still dont' look at them too much.

Take care!! Remember we're all here for you!!
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

jazzycatz
on 6/15/11 2:16 am - Joppa, MD

Hugs.  So many go through the "everything else has failed, so won't this?" thoughts.   It's normal.   Your emotions are going to run high.  And after surgery when you start burning fat and the estrogen starts flying you might be more emotional.  It is an emotional time.  Major surgery, mourning food, totally adjusting to a new way of eating, new foods,  people around you behaving differently. 

Don't be afraid of the liquid diet.  One day at a time.  Actually I took it more like one shake at a time.  :-)  But you get through each day and then you are one day closer to surgery.  For me it got easier by the time I hit day 3.  I had to stay away from folks eating, however, and the smells of cooking.  I would just go to a different part of the house while my husband ate.  If your doc didn't think a 2 week liquid diet would do it they might have considered making it longer.  Some have had to do 4+ weeks.  I don't know how they made it but they did.   Can you have broth?  I liked that.  Felt more like a meal.  I would add some Mrs. Dash and it helped.  I'm sure your liver will be fine by surgery.  

As far as shakes at work, I used mostly RTD's. Ready-to-drink.  Like Isopure Grape Frost or EAS Myoplex.  For breakfast I would have a can of Slimfast Cappuccino Delight.  You can also get a shaker bottle so you don't have to use a blender if you are just mixing powders with milk or water. 

Good Luck but don't worry....you'll be fine. 

Shellbatronic
on 6/15/11 2:21 am - NC
Thank y'all so much.  It is so nice to talk to people who get where I'm coming from, I can't even tell you how much it means to me.  I'm going to look into a shaker bottle, and try to relax some.  I did an Opti-fast diet a few years ago and it drove me crrrrrrrrrrrrrazy, but I got through 2 weeks before the Madness set in, so I can do it again! 
aclay
on 6/15/11 2:47 am - MA
I bought the shaker bottle at GNC and then did the carnation sugar free breakfast that's what my dr suggested.  I had to do that 3x a day for 2 weeks and a light dinner w/chicken fish and veggies.

Sherry1RN
on 6/15/11 2:55 am - NC

You will do fine. It is nerve racking to say the least. I went through the same thing and had my surgery last week, think our MD's are in the same office too. I didn't do 2 weeks prior, just 1. Anyway, things will go fine. take care and post wil questions or support when you need it. The people here have been great for me.

kim_in_alabama
on 6/15/11 4:28 am
Hey don't be afraid,  It is a head spinner knowing that your whole world is about to change.  I will have my surgery on the 23rd and am in the middle of my liquid diet now.  You have to stay positive and look to the goal. 

The liquid diet is hard, but it's something that has to be done.  It get your body ready for the liquid diet after wards, is how I look at it. 

Get you chicken or beef both.  I like the beef consume myself.  And drink and remember what you're getting ready to do.

Good luck to you, you'll be fine.

HW:306  SW:291  CW: 265  GW:165      
Kimberly W.
on 6/15/11 6:43 am
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 461 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?